starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trucks

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Why is that? Is it regulation or consumer choice? Am I mistaken or doesn’t a properly driven standard get better mileage than a comparable car with an automatic transmission because of mechanical efficiency?
    Apparently, consumers prefer to not actually drive the car. Laziness explains it, and then a couple of generations of people with lazy parents who don't know how to drive a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Apparently, consumers prefer to not actually drive the car. Laziness explains it, and then a couple of generations of people with lazy parents who don't know how to drive a stick.
    In the late nineties, I worked in San Francisco for a year. People would sell their manual transmission cars when they moved there because of the steep hills. They couldn’t believe I still drove one. “What if you get stopped at a light at the top of a hill and someone’s behind you?”

I guess I was supposed to turn the engine off, get out, and ponder my dire situation.

Why is that? Is it regulation or consumer choice? Am I mistaken or doesn’t a properly driven standard get better mileage than a comparable car with an automatic transmission because of mechanical efficiency?
    Partially what Rip said, but according to what I was told by a dealer, apparently yes, the computerized transmissions have finally exceeded manuals in terms of efficiency. Thus, they are being phased out as demand plummets. It doesn't pay to keep developing new transmissions.

I have been repeatedly told that BMWs and Benz's with automatics are faster than manuals, which helps to sell them because neither manufacturer offers a stick anymore. But I'm just hard-headed -- I like to shift gears.

In the late nineties, I worked in San Francisco for a year. People would sell their manual transmission cars when they moved there because of the steep hills. They couldn’t believe I still drove one. “What if you get stopped at a light at the top of a hill and someone’s behind you?”

I guess I was supposed to turn the engine off, get out, and ponder my dire situation.
    My first car was a 1966 Dodge Coronet with a 3 on the tree. Next car was a 1970 Challenger 340 with a 4 speed and pistol grip shifter. Then the 1969 Dodge Charger 500 with a 440 4 speed. Most of my Jeeps have been standard transmissions.

Around 15 years ago I had a really great young engineer in my department who was responsible for the "hill hold" feature on the 2008 Dodge Challenger 6 speed manual. It would hold brake pressure on a hill until the accelerometer sensed the car was moving forward and slowly released brake pressure keeping the car from rolling backwards on a hill ascent stop.

We tested it up to 35 degree inclines in snow and it worked perfectly!

I will add however, for a snow plow truck, an automatic transmission saves a lot of time!

I don't think anymore. Autos are so good now that they do pretty much everything better than a manual except for being fun to drive, which is important to car people who actually like to participate in the driving experience. And then, nobody knows how to drive a stick anymore anyway.

I have been repeatedly told that BMWs and Benz's with automatics are faster than manuals, which helps to sell them because neither manufacturer offers a stick anymore. But I'm just hard-headed -- I like to shift gears.
    I had leased a 328 with a manual and the M-Sport upgrades in between two other automatic 328s and then an Audi. It was faster and handled better than the other three cars. Not buying that car is one of the two major regrets I have in my life. How I loved it.

I like low-mileage, 2 wheel drive, 1980s Toyota pickups with 20R or 22R engines and manual transmission. They never fail. When they do, even I can fix them. The truck cost next to nothing (until recently), the annual property tax is trivial and my insurance is reasonable (no collision necessary).

New Trucks? 100+ micro-controllers? How long will those micro-controllers be manufactured and available? Who will fix that computer controlled auto transmission? Expensive Planned Obsolescence.

...and grind gears of certain folks that deserve it.

I discovered a couple of years ago that modern tractors have what's called hydrostatic drive (optional) that is similar to automatic. That was a head-scratcher. The front-end loader that makes for more constant forward/reverse use in some circumstances (and for those who fear manual) seems to have driven that feature. I avoided it.

starting strength coach development program
    I think Satch is right that some of the newer ones are out-performing manuals on fuel economy, but plenty of drivers enjoy manuals and keep seeking them out. Stick is more popular in Europe than the States from what I hear.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast