starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trucks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The six speed stick Challenger can't beat the automatic. No matter who's behind the wheel... according to the car rags.

But I got the stick because...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But I'm just hard-headed -- I like to shift gears.
    That was 2009. I don't know if it was even offered in later years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    I like low-mileage, 2 wheel drive, 1980s Toyota pickups with 20R or 22R engines and manual transmission. They never fail. When they do, even I can fix them. The truck cost next to nothing (until recently), the annual property tax is trivial and my insurance is reasonable (no collision necessary).
    I had a 74 Celica 5 speed with a 20R engine. Even I couldn't destroy that motor.

When I worked for the family home construction business back in the 70s, we had a 1968 International pick up with a 304 4 speed. Had to start it out in 2nd gear most of the time because 1st was a granny gear. I swear that old truck could pull a house off it's foundation if you locked the 4wd and cranked it up in first gear!

Just a moment...

Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    When I worked for the family home construction business back in the 70s, we had a 1968 International pick up with a 304 4 speed. Had to start it out in 2nd gear most of the time because 1st was a granny gear. I swear that old truck could pull a house off it's foundation if you locked the 4wd and cranked it up in first gear!

Just a moment...
    From the page you linked:
    "Put most basically, a granny gear is a gear with a really high gear ratio."
    That's ass-backwards. A granny gear is a very low gear ratio. Using the writer's numbers from the article, 2.00:1 is a high ratio compared to 6.32:1, which is a low ratio. Anything over 1:1, e.g. 0.89:1, is overdrive.

I had a 74 Celica 5 speed with a 20R engine. Even I couldn't destroy that motor.
    You clearly had a good childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Stick is more popular in Europe than the States from what I hear.
    You have to pass your driver’s test on a stick. An automatic transmission is usually a paid extra, unless we are talking about the top tier models. But like, we drive cars in Europe that most Americans would not even consider cars. I drive a VW Golf, the most popular car in Europe, which would at best be considered a lawnmower in the States.

My daily driver is a 1984 BMW 318I (E30 with M10 engine) with a 5 speed tranny. I bought it new in 1984 and as a third car and have driven it regularly ever since. Currently it travels about 250-400 miles a month slowly adding to the roughly 150,000 miles on the odometer.

Bullet proof car, both my sons drove it in high school so eventually I had to replace the clutch. Otherwise maintenance has been minimal. Originally promoted as 0-60 in 8 seconds (it ain't a Tesla) we are down to 0-60 in 12 seconds on the original engine.

I love shifting thru the gears!

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    But like, we drive cars in Europe that most Americans would not even consider cars.
    Truth. And in many respects, we Americans are poorer for it.

I do miss our Ford Mondeo Diesel Wagons (standard, of course) that would cruise at 200kph comfortably while sipping fuel. Forget trying to find something similar here in the US. But then again, Ford US < Ford Europe.

I bought a Ford F250 with the diesel. Have about 30k miles on it now and am having all kinds of trouble with the emissions system. Truck is currently in limp mode as there is a problem with the DEF system despite the tank being full. It's been into the dealer 3 times and each appointment takes a month wait because the dealer is so busy with not enough mechanics.

I have decided to do a full emissions delete and get a retuned programmer to bypass all the factory emissions issues and warning lights. I can get from 0-150 horsepower extra by just a click of the dial. Apparently gains of up to 5mpg are also possible due to more efficient running and no diesel injection in the the particulate filter to burn off soot.

Other than emissions it is a great truck with a ton of power.

starting strength coach development program
    Audi’s DSG was the doom of the standard transmission. All previous clutchless manuals (e.g. BMW’s SMG and Ferrari’s “F1”) had performance drawbacks. Since then, it hasn’t been possible to take satisfaction in one’s control over the vehicle, and by extension, driving overall. Cars haven’t been cool for about 20 years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast