starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Default Trucks

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach Rip, love your input on any number of issues we all face in todays world. As such, I would love some advice on purchasing a new truck.
    This will be a "business truck" which will on occasion have the opportunity to pull a trailer, though, we habe trucks for that. The role it will fill will be a daily driver of 15 mile round trip, parts delivery truck when needed, and an alternative family vehicle......and the damn thing is going to have to ride higher than the traffic headlights, I am of middle age and am getting rather night blind.
    Always had 1/2 tons with the only goal of being transportation. Now I want some capabiity with an eye to the future. We drive our vehicles for 300k miles (Lexus and Toyota) so I would expect this purchase to give me 20 years and retire on the farm. Another consideration is a vehicle that can be serviced easier than others if possible with the ability to handle many repairs outside the dealership service department. This eases my mind when we consider the downward trajectory of society. So my very obvious question is Dodge, GM, Ford....diesel or gas burner...and any other "bells and whistles" you or anyone reading would add.
    It may help to know that our business is fabrication and hydraulics with a team that has a couple of former CAT mechanics. Thank you so much.

Why would you buy a new truck? Maybe you mean "another truck."

Well, was actually considering new. This is based on our history of vehicle ownership lasting 2 decades and a desire for this truck to do the same...I get the feeling that this is incorrect. So, lets go with "another" truck. Perhaps best year model on best truck.. In addition, four wheel drive or no? We have a Lexus LX (Fancy Landcruiser) with the most complex 4 wheel drive system on the planet and I have used it zero time here in Alabama. So, my thinking is no....BUT, you are the fellow with the answers.. thanks again Coach!

I bought my Silverado half ton new in 2017, and I’ve had a few issues with it. My suspension is shot, my transmission slips, and I’ve had electrical issues with the lights since it was new. I wouldn’t count on it to last 150k. The 7.3 ford gas job looks promising to me for my eventual upgrade.

I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 (3/4 ton) 4-door 4x4 with a long wide bed. It has the 5.9 Cummins Diesel with no requirement for DEF. Most important, it has a standard transmission. 200K on the chassis, and I'll have it for another 20 years. I also have a 2005 2WD in the same configuration. If you can find one like that, you should buy it. Standard transmissions are not available on 3/4 ton trucks in the United States anymore.

Great advice, my Dad, a Ford man thru and thru recommends the Dodge Diesel. We sell a ton of DEF in bulk to municipalities. Some farmers and contractors are bypassing/deleting the system. I am also a fan of standard trans.

Friend has had the F250 Tremor with 7.3 for 6 or so months. Loves it so far. I am anxious to see how it performs with some mileage on it. Thank you for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 (3/4 ton) 4-door 4x4 with a long wide bed. It has the 5.9 Cummins Diesel with no requirement for DEF. Most important, it has a standard transmission. 200K on the chassis, and I'll have it for another 20 years. I also have a 2005 2WD in the same configuration. If you can find one like that, you should buy it. Standard transmissions are not available on 3/4 ton trucks in the United States anymore.
    Great advice Coach!

My daily driver is a 25 year old Jeep with just over 100k miles I bought for $5k 6 years ago at 65k miles. Our snow plow truck is a 2000 Silverado with 120k miles; bought it for basically the cost of the plow, $5k.

Both vehicles were 1 owner and well maintained, although the Chevy bounced off a few trees years ago before we purchased it.

Insurance is cheap, registration is cheap, parts are easy to find, and they're still relatively easy to maintain and repair.

I cannot fathom $60-80k for a new truck.

It takes some time and effort, but if you can find an older rust free vehicle with low miles and maybe pay up a couple of grand to buy it, they're a great deal in the long run.

Most important, it has a standard transmission...Standard transmissions are not available on 3/4 ton trucks in the United States anymore.
    Very sad. That’s the case for a lot of smaller pickups now, too. I think GM’s Canyon/Colorado twins no longer offer manual transmissions. They used to be made by Aisin. Japanese company owned in part by Toyota. GM isn’t alone though. Fewer standards are being offered in general.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Very sad. That’s the case for a lot of smaller pickups now, too. I think GM’s Canyon/Colorado twins no longer offer manual transmissions. They used to be made by Aisin. Japanese company owned in part by Toyota. GM isn’t alone though. Fewer standards are being offered in general.
    Tacoma and the Gladiator are the only midsize trucks in the U.S. that offer manual.

starting strength coach development program
    Standard transmissions are not available on 3/4 ton trucks in the United States anymore.
    Why is that? Is it regulation or consumer choice? Am I mistaken or doesn’t a properly driven standard get better mileage than a comparable car with an automatic transmission because of mechanical efficiency?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast