starting strength gym

Thread: School boards should ban trap bars vs banning books

Default School boards should ban trap bars vs banning books

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A trap bar story......enjoy........My son plays HS football. His strength coach believes in the trap bar vs the conventional dead lift. He also has the team "JUMP" with a loaded trap bar. Think "jumping squats" except with a trap bar. The stupid shit never ends. He sprained his back from doing this shit with 205. This stupid shit kept him from play for 3 weeks, and the remainder of the season was not a 100%. However, a silver lining does exist to this story. My son just finished his 4th workout today at a SS gym. He is in good hands with the SS coach and the NLP 3x a week.

Pull him out of HS football. He will thank you when he's 30.

I agree 100%. He made an attempt at "shot put" last year but he had no interest. He likes to break and crush things. I have told him numerous times "nobody that plays marching band is suffering from bad knees and shoulders at 30"

Quote Originally Posted by david strecker View Post
    I agree 100%. He made an attempt at "shot put" last year but he had no interest. He likes to break and crush things. I have told him numerous times "nobody that plays marching band is suffering from bad knees and shoulders at 30"
    Any good competitive options in your area outside of school teams? e.g. jujitsu? I'm not sure how common this is, but I know of a gym not too far from me that does kids classes and competition for strongman stuff...

If you have a coach who doesn't push the cutting weight nonsense, then wrestling might be worth considering. Not the same kind of breaking and crushing, but it's controlled aggression all the same. In my experience, both the injury rate and types of injuries were remarkably lower in wrestling than in football.

Whatever it is, it's got to interest your boy, though. It's a particularly messed up thing to see where kids are playing a sport for their parents' sake.

Quote Originally Posted by david strecker View Post
    A trap bar story......enjoy........My son plays HS football. His strength coach believes in the trap bar vs the conventional dead lift. He also has the team "JUMP" with a loaded trap bar. Think "jumping squats" except with a trap bar. The stupid shit never ends. He sprained his back from doing this shit with 205. This stupid shit kept him from play for 3 weeks, and the remainder of the season was not a 100%. However, a silver lining does exist to this story. My son just finished his 4th workout today at a SS gym. He is in good hands with the SS coach and the NLP 3x a week.
    I find it so surprising to see these stories over and over again. I played HS football in the early 2000's, we were squatting/deadlifting/benching and power cleaning. I'm sure our form and programming couldve used improvement but we did appropriate lifts, ate a lot and progressively overloaded the bar. I was fortunate to be around the right strength coaching. After football season we played basketball, and the football kids/lifters were men amongst boys out on the floor compared to the kids who didn't lift. It seems that a lot of these coaches want to reinvent the wheel.

If your son doesn't have a vertical of 36 inches or more I wouldn't play football. Football is run by the dumbest people the south has to offer. I'm from rural NC in a lovely county called Stanly. I have lived it and seen it. Focus on lifting for exercise and develop a life skill young. Your body will thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin727 View Post
    If your son doesn't have a vertical of 36 inches or more I wouldn't play football. Football is run by the dumbest people the south has to offer. I'm from rural NC in a lovely county called Stanly. I have lived it and seen it. Focus on lifting for exercise and develop a life skill young. Your body will thank you.
    Good ol Albemarle NC....I remember that part of NC very well from years ago. Pine and the sandhills of NC.