starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L5 S1 Surgery….

Default L5 S1 Surgery….

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have finally dodged and darted as long as I can. L5 S1 surgery is now here for me and I have a significant choice to make: fusion or lumbar disc replacement. I’ve researched both and have spoken to multiple surgeons. Id like to get any thoughts and opinions from you guys on here as well. I simply want to make the best choice and not fuck this up. Any help is appreciated.

We'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorLoomis View Post
    I have finally dodged and darted as long as I can. L5 S1 surgery is now here for me and I have a significant choice to make: fusion or lumbar disc replacement. I’ve researched both and have spoken to multiple surgeons. Id like to get any thoughts and opinions from you guys on here as well. I simply want to make the best choice and not fuck this up. Any help is appreciated.
    I had L5-S1 fusion and laminectomy in 2005. Recovery was very slow and the back pain never really subsided until I started weight lifting again (against the surgeon's recommendation).

Been pretty much pain free for many years now.

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We'll ask.
    I’m asking: what’s your opinion on the two procedures? If you were faced with the same choice which one would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorLoomis View Post
    I’m asking: what’s your opinion on the two procedures? If you were faced with the same choice which one would you choose?
    I have no personal experience with either one. But it has been my professional experience that lumbar surgery is a bad idea, and unless you're shitting yourself you don't have it done. But mkm5 has a different experience. We'll continue to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have no personal experience with either one. But it has been my professional experience that lumbar surgery is a bad idea, and unless you're shitting yourself you don't have it done. But mkm5 has a different experience. We'll continue to ask.
    I agree with you that it’s a last resort. Absolutely last resort. Sadly I’m at the point that if I make the slightest wrong movement I’m literally in devastating pain lying on the floor. I can easily go from decent to non functional in the snap of a finger.

My sister’s fiancé works for the company from where you likely will receive your new spine parts. We’ve had this discussion because of my Dad’s back. He told me the disc replacement technology for lumbar “just isn’t there yet” and advised against it.

That said, I believe the replacement can be taken out and a fusion performed if it fails (generally speaking).

Sorry to hear about your condition. My Dad’s is pretty bad too and seeing how miserable he is is one of the reasons I started training.

Are you having radicular pain (pain/electricity/numbness running down the course of your sciatic nerve) or low back pain?

FYI-I had the L5-S1 discectomy/laminectomy when I was 37 (I'm 54 now); the first surgery seemed to have helped, however a month later my mom fell and broke her ankle in the street and I had to pick her up and it got worse. 6 months later-no better and I had a 2nd surgery; which gave no relief. I was advised by 4 other surgeons to get fused. After talking with others who had been through similar events, most said DO NOT get fused. I called Louie Simmons and he suggested getting on testosterone therapy because of my age while working the reverse hyper a certain way. I saw immediate improvement from this advice. I have no back issues 17 years later and I squat and pull regularly. Not sure which one was the key (testosterone or RH) or both, but after years of pain, surgeries and pointless rehab my back issues disappeared after using the testosterone and Reverse hyper. This was my experience, yours maybe much different. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, derek.alford13@gmail.com. Time and Gravity are undefeated!!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Alford View Post
    … working the reverse hyper a certain way. I saw immediate improvement from this advice. …
    Can you share the RH program you used for rehab?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast