Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to try Fran

Default I want to try Fran

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip:

I need you to talk me out of something.

52yo; trt; 6'4" 250lbs; best current 1rms are 225,315,405, 500 (p,b,sq,dl). Currently doing a 6 day texas method set up without a middle day light squat day-just a volume day and an intensity day for squat. Also, I've been waffling back and forth with LP because since Thanksgiving Ive been battling one illness after another, a nasty finger maceration injury where I almost lost the tip, and family issues.

Anyway, I am about to start a 90 day faith based ascetism program where "vigorous exercise" at least three times per week is prescribed. Since I already do "vigorous exercise" more than three times per week, to a degree most of these limp wrists cannot imagine, and enjoy doing so, in order to keep with the purpose of the program, which is ascetism, discipline, self denial, etc, I thought I might change things up and do something that I don't enjoy doing. I'm not a lunatic who hates his knees, ankles and hips, so Im not going to start running around the block. Other than talking walks and going for leisurely bike rides with my kids, I dont really do "cardio" or "metabolic conditioning" (a term that strikes my old ears as somehow even gayer than "cardio.") Crossfit shit seemed to fit the bill.

Fran is a thruster (95pound front squat into push press) followed by pullups (I would do strict dead hang, full extension chinups not kipping or butterfly pullups because, duh,) in three set of 21 then 15, then 9 reps. For time. My goal would be to decrease my time over the 90 day period, probably by mostly reducing my rest times and increasing the number of chins I can do in a row.

Given my goals and purpose (ascetisim, deprivation, voluntary hardship, unenjoyable exercise), please talk me out of doing this. I already know I would get weaker, but I do feel like my strength would come back just fine after the 90 day period was over. I understand slamming my dick in the car door might have a similar effect, but what can I do training wise that would be hard and unenjoyable?

If you want something hard, unenjoyable, and unproductive, Fran is your gal. But just think of how much your Spiritual health will improve!

Fran with strict pullups completely misses the point. Maybe express your ascetism through something besides exercise?

Just take handle-hard-left cold showers through Spring. But before you step under the water everytime, first let the water run to clear the pipes of any warmth.

Good idea. All the asceticism, almost none of the adverse training effects. Or you could get up on top of the house and jump off, AMRAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Good idea. All the asceticism, almost none of the adverse training effects. Or you could get up on top of the house and jump off, AMRAP.
    There is something Zen to it. Not quite enlightenment, but certainly detachment.

Kinda like working through a fierce headache, the more you fight it, the more it hurts.

Let the pain flow over you like a river.

I think I got that second-hand from Thomas Merton.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    ... Or you could get up on top of the house and jump off, AMRAP.
    Wait, you did this, didn't you? It was not an adverse-less experience.

FBW - from your description and a quick search on the interwebs, am I right that you're doing Exodus 90?

Looking at the site for that, it's acknowledged that, of the different ascetic aspects, "Some will be very easy for you, and others will be more challenging. If some of the disciplines seem unnecessary because you don’t struggle with them, commit to doing them anyway."

Sounds like just continuing your programming should fit that program, if it's pursued in the same spirit of devotion. Given that the program is intended to be pursued in a spirit of community, why not discuss it with your cohort? That said, the terms in which you present it should be carefully chosen, since you're communicating something foreign to them, by your description. Your choosing training willingly as part of your lifestyle does not make it easy, or uniformly pleasurable. It's still vigorous exercise that is hard to do while engaging in it. It's still done to care for your body and health. It's still done in a struggle of self-denial (contra laziness, doubt, fear, gluttony, et al.)

People who abstain from alcohol all the time already because they just don't like alcohol still punch the teetotalling ticket for the ascetic program, right? People who are already vegetarians/pescetarians still punch the Wednesday/Friday ticket, right? Sounds like the overall program is comprehensive enough to offer plenty of challenges for everyone...

If you feel the need for a change or a challenge, maybe you could take this opportunity to run an unwavering LP 3x/wk, no matter what? Microload as necessary, and no excuses, Do The Ascetic Program?

Full disclosure: Exodus 90 says it's a Catholic program, and I am solidly a son of Augustine and of the Reformers in that area, so the Council of Trent might...downplay my take on such matters.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Wait, you did this, didn't you? It was not an adverse-less experience.
    Only got one rep.

starting strength coach development program
    When I hear people talking about voluntarily increasing their unpleasantness for spiritual goals I tell them not to do pointless activity but instead to deep clean their houses, inside and out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast