starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to try Fran

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    ...Exodus 90 *is* [FTFY] a Catholic program...
    I thought Fat might be dipping his toes into the baptismal font. (Ew.)

So let's ask... HOW COLD DO THE SHOWERS HAVE TO BE?

I would be concerned about getting tendonitis with something like this.

Here's a vote for fran.

I did it 3 times at various stages of a short lived CrossFit phase and I gotta say, one of those workouts was something I'll never forget. It is a uniquely horrible, time bending experience. It should hit all the marks you're aiming for. If you do it, I'll do it too, but probably only once. I'm getting sick just thinking about it.

How about you go off TRT cold turkey for the 90 days? Would that suck enough to fulfill your spiritual journey?

JD: yes. I am doing the exodus 90 program. You have convinced me to just stay the course. Turns, out, I live a pretty ascetic life already. Only the cold showers are difficult for me. You have convinced me to stay the course and just continue with my hard training. I weep for those people (are millennials people?) for whom giving up watching televised sports and video games is a sacrifice. That's just not something I do anyway. Also, I am not abstaining from meat on Wed and Fridays (although I will on Fridays during Lent) because 2 days per week is more than 25% of my life and its too unhealthy. What I am doing instead is an all meat cleanse on those days where ALL i eat is plain, lightly salted meat.

The hardest parts for me are the affirmative, additional things: readings, prayer, and silent contemplation. Those are my greatest challenges.

So to everyone else, yes - cold showers are part of the program and cleaning your house (making order out of chaos) is part of the program.

Rip - I thought you could give me better reasons to NOT do Fran. Then again, becoming weaker and the risk of injury are pretty good reasons by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Halls View Post
    Here's a vote for fran.

I did it 3 times at various stages of a short lived CrossFit phase and I gotta say, one of those workouts was something I'll never forget. It is a uniquely horrible, time bending experience. It should hit all the marks you're aiming for. If you do it, I'll do it too, but probably only once. I'm getting sick just thinking about it.
    I have been talked out of it by sage minds. Getting weaker and getting injured are not part of my life plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    FBW - from your description and a quick search on the interwebs, am I right that you're doing Exodus 90?

Looking at the site for that, it's acknowledged that, of the different ascetic aspects, "Some will be very easy for you, and others will be more challenging. If some of the disciplines seem unnecessary because you don’t struggle with them, commit to doing them anyway."

Sounds like just continuing your programming should fit that program, if it's pursued in the same spirit of devotion. Given that the program is intended to be pursued in a spirit of community, why not discuss it with your cohort? That said, the terms in which you present it should be carefully chosen, since you're communicating something foreign to them, by your description. Your choosing training willingly as part of your lifestyle does not make it easy, or uniformly pleasurable. It's still vigorous exercise that is hard to do while engaging in it. It's still done to care for your body and health. It's still done in a struggle of self-denial (contra laziness, doubt, fear, gluttony, et al.)

People who abstain from alcohol all the time already because they just don't like alcohol still punch the teetotalling ticket for the ascetic program, right? People who are already vegetarians/pescetarians still punch the Wednesday/Friday ticket, right? Sounds like the overall program is comprehensive enough to offer plenty of challenges for everyone...

If you feel the need for a change or a challenge, maybe you could take this opportunity to run an unwavering LP 3x/wk, no matter what? Microload as necessary, and no excuses, Do The Ascetic Program?

Full disclosure: Exodus 90 says it's a Catholic program, and I am solidly a son of Augustine and of the Reformers in that area, so the Council of Trent might...downplay my take on such matters.
    "Catholic"

::laughs in Pius X::

Quote Originally Posted by Leo M View Post
    When I hear people talking about voluntarily increasing their unpleasantness for spiritual goals I tell them not to do pointless activity but instead to deep clean their houses, inside and out.
    Italian mortification works every time.

Do a 90-day cycle of bodybuilding-style training. Get hench-er looking for Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    "Catholic"

::laughs in Pius X::
    I'm almost ready.

I advise against doing Fran......their is a WOD called RIP.......try RIP instead.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    The hardest parts for me are the affirmative, additional things: readings, prayer, and silent contemplation. Those are my greatest challenges.

This is what the gaps between sets are for. (Slightly flippant comment but I'd imagine you can a bible or bible study apps for your phone and heavy sets can calm the mind).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast