starting strength gym

Thread: Minor Groin Injury During Squats

Default Minor Groin Injury During Squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

I'm 24 yo 93kg 171cm. On the 31st of December I injured my groin during my 150kgx5 squat session. It happened on the concentric phase of the third rep, I felt a muscle tweak in my left groin. By groin I'm referring to the point where the leg connects to the torso. The 0:28 mark on the video is the exact point where it happens. Observe how my left leg shakes a little.

It is a very minor injury, has virtually no effect on my daily life, just a slight pain when I do certain moves like lifting my left leg with a straight knee or shoving my knee out. But there's a clear and distinct pain when I try squatting. Since the 10 days it happened it gradually got better but hasn't been fully healed yet.

What do you think is the reason this happened? Rather, do you believe it is related to my form from what you see in the video?

I purposefully kept the video longer to avoid it being a short. Set ends at 0:47. And sorry for the shitty angle, I didn't record this video with intent of posting on the forums. I wasn't sure whether to post on the technique forum or here.

150x5 fail and minor injury - YouTube

Unless the form error is quite obvious, it is almost never possible to say why an injury occurred. I think it may have something to do with your man-bun. All we really know is that you have to train through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think it may have something to do with your man-bun.
    I think you're onto something here..

All we really know is that you have to train through it.
    I hadn't been squatting since then because when I tried so, even with an empty bar and even though it is not the worst of pains, it didn't feel like something to push through. I was waiting for the pain to go away before resuming squats. But I'm fine with training through it if that's what has to be done. I'll start light next training day and slowly build back to where I was depending on how things go. Thanks Rip.

I have a man-bun and my adductor hurts. The evidence is overwhelming.

OP, go through some stance modifications to see if the pain gets any better. Try a narrower stance with toes a bit more forward. Train as normally as possible. Once the pain subsides, reintroduce a more normal squat stance.

...I think it may have something to do with your man-bun. All we really know is that you have to train through it.
    This injury could have easily been prevented.

Conversely, I shave my head, and my adductors do NOT hurt. Someone should publish this in The Literature.

starting strength coach development program
    You didn’t ask how to rehab it but there are a ton of posts on this injury in the Managing Injuries thread. I’d suggest looking looking for Will Morris’s comments.