starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw Milk

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    Pasteurization seemingly kills off gut-friendly bacteria and changes the lactose profile of milk such that the nutrients don't work as well together and aren't as easily digested.
    How does this work?

I also found it interesting that the CDC and FDA completely banned retail sales of raw milk and claimed there were no benefits to it, although generations of our ancestors consumed it regularly.
    How is it being sold in Sunny California?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Food is medicine, and I would argue that microbes are food. There's just no money in microbes...'cus I can grow them myself...well, until that becomes illegal too. You know, they made a plant illegal...so why not microbes?
    There is a large market for fermented foods, which are industrially scalable, logistically friendly and microbiologically superior. Whereas there are inherent logistical and legal challenges in selling raw milk. And milk is an iffy product to begin with; most people should avoid all that sugar, and are better served by ultrafiltered milk (aka Fairlife).

This is just one of those situations where technology has vastly improved your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How does this work?

"Raw milk contains the enzyme lactase, which is critical for breaking down the lactose sugars that serve as the culprit of lactose intolerance. When milk is pasteurized, the lactase enzyme is completely deactivated--leaving the responsibility of breaking down the lactose sugars totally up to your body. And some folks just don't have what they need in their system for it to perform this task. So, when you consume raw milk, the lactase enzymes will do the work for you, alleviating your body of a very unnatural, and difficult chore!

Raw milk is chalk full of other enzymes that serve specific functions in helping your body digest and utilize all of the natural properties that come in the raw milk--yes, even the natural fats! Nearly every single enzyme is completely deactivated during pasteurization. THEN, as if that weren't bad enough, all of the natural probiotics and other good bacteria are destroyed in the process as well!"

Quote posted above from this article:

Lactose Intolerant? Why Raw Milk is Your New Best Friend!

How does this work?

I did notice from reading on this subject that California appears to allow sales of raw milk. Where I live, my understanding is in order to purchase the product, you have to buy shares in a co-op for a one time up front fee and also pay a monthly fee. I don't know anyone who has participated in this so I can't offer much insight into the process. Again, the reason for my question.

Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    "Raw milk contains the enzyme lactase, which is critical for breaking down the lactose sugars that serve as the culprit of lactose intolerance. When milk is pasteurized, the lactase enzyme is completely deactivated--leaving the responsibility of breaking down the lactose sugars totally up to your body. And some folks just don't have what they need in their system for it to perform this task. So, when you consume raw milk, the lactase enzymes will do the work for you, alleviating your body of a very unnatural, and difficult chore!

Raw milk is chalk full of other enzymes that serve specific functions in helping your body digest and utilize all of the natural properties that come in the raw milk--yes, even the natural fats! Nearly every single enzyme is completely deactivated during pasteurization. THEN, as if that weren't bad enough, all of the natural probiotics and other good bacteria are destroyed in the process as well!"
    Yeah, this is complete California bullshit. Think about it for about 5 seconds: What do enzymes do, and how do they do it? If LACTASE is in the milk, how is LACTOSE also in the milk? Did the State of California tell the LACTASE to leave the LACTOSE alone while it's in the package? Does the LACTASE only work on the LACTOSE sugar after you drink it in Sunny California? Really, why don't you people just pass a law that says lactase enzymes must leave lactose sugar alone until Gavin Newsom says it's okay? Or has that already been done? And pass a law that says that Science must make controlled nuclear fusion possible by 2025? Or that everything in Sunny California is free, except guns?

Yeah, this is complete California bullshit. Think about it for about 5 seconds: What do enzymes do, and how do they do it? If LACTASE is in the milk, how is LACTOSE also in the milk? Did the State of California tell the LACTASE to leave the LACTOSE alone while it's in the package? Does the LACTASE only work on the LACTOSE sugar after you drink it in Sunny California? Really, why don't you people just pass a law that says lactase enzymes must leave lactose sugar alone until Gavin Newsom says it's okay? Or has that already been done? And pass a law that says that Science must make controlled nuclear fusion possible by 2025? Or that everything in Sunny California is free, except guns?
    I'm guessing Coach is not a fan of raw milk!

I'm not a fan of California Bullshit. The west coast is the only place I've been where simple arithmetic is incomprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    There is a large market for fermented foods, which are industrially scalable, logistically friendly and microbiologically superior. Whereas there are inherent logistical and legal challenges in selling raw milk. And milk is an iffy product to begin with; most people should avoid all that sugar, and are better served by ultrafiltered milk (aka Fairlife).

This is just one of those situations where technology has vastly improved your life.
    I agree, Shiva. Personally, I choose a specific microbe strain and grow in an instant pot in Sous Vide mode at a microbe appropriate temperature with Pasteurized whole milk and Inulin for 36 hours. Pasteurization is important for my use because I do not want competing microbes. This way, I can observe the effects, if any, of each microbe, and the 36 hour fermentation time creates an extremely microbial dense "yogurt".

Microbes in store bought 4 hour yogurt is microbial weak and composed of microbes chosen for taste rather than effects/health. I don't see the value.

The Raw Milk enthusiasm might also be a by-product of primitive farm-to-table life. I lived in what was fairly rural CA during high school. The area was dotted with farms of different sorts (horses, chickens, I don’t know what else). “Dye Road” was lined with chicken farms that sported an impressive stench. Overall a rickety and worn looking place. There used to be signs near the mailboxes advertising eggs . . . and raw milk - available for a token price on the honor system. My wild-ass friends would sometimes partake - none the worse, nor better.

I find raw milk foul tasting.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I find raw milk foul tasting.
    It helps if you think it's "healthier."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast