starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw Milk

Default Raw Milk

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Any suggestions on obtaining raw milk or recommendations for or against? I've always enjoyed a cold glass of whole milk or 3 or 4 everyday. Over the years I've begun to experience stomach aches, but not enough to keep me from drinking it. I've tried the grass fed milk and find it much closer in taste and texture from what I remember 40 years ago, but it's still not the same. Used to have to spoon off cream from the top of the glass half gallon bottles; not sure if that was from not being homogenized or pasteurized or what?

Appreciate any feedback!

IF YOU DRINK RAW MILK EVERY DAY THIS MIGHT HAPPEN TO YOUR BODY — RAW FARM usa

Aside from an exponentially higher bacteria count, what are the advantages of raw milk, aside from taste?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Aside from an exponentially higher bacteria count, what are the advantages of raw milk, aside from taste?
    Better for nutrient bioavailability and no stomach pain apparently.

Also, anything big gov says we can't have, makes me think we should have it.

Raw Milk Questions and Answers | CDC

So anytime you have stomach pain, it was the pasteurized milk? How are the nutrients more "bioavailable"?

Which nutrients are supposed to be more bioavailable in raw milk compared to pasterurized milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo M View Post
    Which nutrients are supposed to be more bioavailable in raw milk compared to pasterurized milk?
    Well, Microbes are one obvious thing. But, is bacteria "nutrition"?

We are sterile creatures now. Unlike our ancestors, we don't eat much fermented foods. Our ancestors carried, for example, lactobacillus reuteri. Very few of us do now.

Is it possible that our modern microbiome (compared to our ancestors) is why our hormonal composition is so weak? Why we are so submissive? Can some of us improve our hormones...for example...by digesting a carefully chosen consortium of microbes?

Maybe not nature's microbial crap shoot that's in raw milk..although I would argue it seemed to serve our ancestors just fine. I grew up drinking it until it was ruled illegal. But, I believe future real Doctors will prescribe consortiums of microbes to treat many conditions....rather than Pharma pills.

Research the work of Dr William Davis, MD. Microbial strains that might catch your attention are L. reuteri DSM 17938 and L. reuteri ATCC PTA 6475. It really does look like these microbes increase Oxytocin....naturally. Were our ancestors walking around with more Oxytocin? And what effect might that have on hormones? What effect might that have on who we are?

Why are so many Americans detached, submissive zombies lacking empathy? Were we always like that?

I dunno, but I've been growing specific microbes as 36 hour yogurt for a while with good results.

Native microorganisms in their original form cannot be patented. So, this is research us plebes will have to do ourselves. Perhaps there's a damned good reason we've got it in our head that bacteria is not nutrition?

Food is medicine, and I would argue that microbes are food. There's just no money in microbes...'cus I can grow them myself...well, until that becomes illegal too. You know, they made a plant illegal...so why not microbes?

If you want to spoon the cream off the top then you just need non-homogenized milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So anytime you have stomach pain, it was the pasteurized milk? How are the nutrients more "bioavailable"?
    I had stomach pain issues for years until I began to recognize some of the food triggers. Over time I eliminated most all processed foods and developed a pretty simple diet of basic foods. I realized pretty quickly that milk was an issue for me, and cut back on it. Didn't take long to notice that anything more than 8 ounces a day would cause pain.

Everything I eat is as local and natural as I can find; I was just curious whether unprocessed milk would be a benefit as well.

Pasteurization seemingly kills off gut-friendly bacteria and changes the lactose profile of milk such that the nutrients don't work as well together and aren't as easily digested.

I'm no expert on the subject, that's why I asked the question to see what other's thoughts and experiences were.

I also found it interesting that the CDC and FDA completely banned retail sales of raw milk and claimed there were no benefits to it, although generations of our ancestors consumed it regularly.

There could be sources of these microbes rather than raw milk. If they could be proved to be useful, it would be safer to eat food inoculated with pure cultures of them, which is easy to do. But there would not be enough money in it to justify the research, so it won't be done.

Before pasteurization many people died of milk-borne diseases. I mean many, not just a few. These are bacteria present in most cattle, even with excellent animal husbandry. They include bacteria causing tuberculosis, brucellosis and listeriosis. People still die during outbreaks of Listeria-contaminated cheese. There is no way to eliminate a certain level of deaths from these diseases without pasteurizing milk. Years ago pelvic X-rays of a large proportion of old people revealed calcified tuberculous lymph nodes from drinking raw milk. The germs entered the intestines, and then the lymph nodes in the mesentery.

I agree adults should be able to do anything they want, so long as it doesn't harm others and the doer is solely responsible for all costs and consequences. But feeding non-pasteurized milk to children will result in the death of some of them from time to time. You would need to prove a very large benefit to them from drinking raw milk before I would think it's OK to let a few die now and then. And raw-milk-drinking adults with children will die from time to time, leaving the children without parents. I don't want to pay for bringing up somebody else's children.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Well, Microbes are one obvious thing. But, is bacteria "nutrition"?

We are sterile creatures now. Unlike our ancestors, we don't eat much fermented foods. Our ancestors carried, for example, lactobacillus reuteri. Very few of us do now.

Is it possible that our modern microbiome (compared to our ancestors) is why our hormonal composition is so weak? Why we are so submissive? Can some of us improve our hormones...for example...by digesting a carefully chosen consortium of microbes?

Maybe not nature's microbial crap shoot that's in raw milk..although I would argue it seemed to serve our ancestors just fine. I grew up drinking it until it was ruled illegal. But, I believe future real Doctors will prescribe consortiums of microbes to treat many conditions....rather than Pharma pills.

Research the work of Dr William Davis, MD. Microbial strains that might catch your attention are L. reuteri DSM 17938 and L. reuteri ATCC PTA 6475. It really does look like these microbes increase Oxytocin....naturally. Were our ancestors walking around with more Oxytocin? And what effect might that have on hormones? What effect might that have on who we are?

Why are so many Americans detached, submissive zombies lacking empathy? Were we always like that?

I dunno, but I've been growing specific microbes as 36 hour yogurt for a while with good results.

Native microorganisms in their original form cannot be patented. So, this is research us plebes will have to do ourselves. Perhaps there's a damned good reason we've got it in our head that bacteria is not nutrition?

Food is medicine, and I would argue that microbes are food. There's just no money in microbes...'cus I can grow them myself...well, until that becomes illegal too. You know, they made a plant illegal...so why not microbes?
    Interesting, thank you for this reply!

I also believe that real food is medicine based on my personal experience, that's why I'm looking into raw milk for pros and cons.

Maybe the issue with milk is that it is "ultra pasteurized" now so it can sit on the grocery store shelf for 60 days or more. That doesn't sound like natural food to me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast