starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evil gas stoves

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My pacemaker doctor told me I have to avoid induction hobs as they have large magnets in them so maybe if I lived in California I could get a doctor's note?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brainich View Post
    At the risk of tossing oil on Rip’s fire - California has already banned new gas appliances as of 2030. Dangerous “carbonization” of dwelling structures, dontcha know. It’s the Science.

Sadly it *won’t* piss off most people here. I still occasionally see people voluntarily wearing masks outside.

I’m just not ever going to get that Starting Strength gym, am I?
    I'm waiting for the day California's stupidity and hubris grow to such heights that they demand God provide power to their state or something.

Yes we know! It comes from the plug in the wall, duh!

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I'm waiting for the day California's stupidity and hubris grow to such heights that they demand God provide power to their state or something.
    Did you like my suggestion about fusion power?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Here in Trump's Jersey and throughout our great (Overgrown) Garden State, the excessively toothsome and profoundly cowardly governor recently decreed that single-use disposable bags, paper and/or plastic, shall not be offered by effectively all retail outlets. Restaurants seemed to have escaped this prohibition, but have to deal with an ancillary ban on single-use, non-recyclable/reusable food containers. This was done in the name of environmental protection; apparently, our waterways are clogged with shopping bags and styrofoam.

We thinking folk realized two things: one, the ban was a indulgence to retail who lobbied the government for a way to alleviate their overhead in the face of the recent inflation and the commensurate increase in costs overall. Two, it is obvious that any pollution problem in the public rivers and streams is the fault of failure by Trenton to actually clean up things, ergo, the general public must be blamed for being slobs, despite the fact that they can take care of their own property just fine. Thus, a gift to the government who can just pocket that environmental protection money, or shift it to avenues where they screw us in some other way.
    Single use plastic grocery bags have been banned in the EU per some directive applicable to all member states. The result is that you can still buy them at convenience stores, but they are some new kind of plastic bag, I suppose “recycled”, which costs five to ten times as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Single use plastic grocery bags have been banned in the EU per some directive applicable to all member states. The result is that you can still buy them at convenience stores, but they are some new kind of plastic bag, I suppose “recycled”, which costs five to ten times as much.
    Oh, yes, here, too. I have to carry a bundle of them in my car.

It is annoyance for our own good.

My pacemaker doctor told me I have to avoid induction hobs as they have large magnets in them so maybe if I lived in California I could get a doctor's note?
    A very strong permanent magnet intended to affect a pacemaker or automatic implanted defibrillator doesn't work unless it is on the skin right over the device. In very fat people it sometimes doesn't work. There is a theoretical risk of an induction magnet causing pacer malfunction with strong enough current flow. It would be interesting to measure magnetic fields around these devices. Because they don't affect my mobile phone when I'm cooking I suspect the real risk is close to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Did you like my suggestion about fusion power?
    It is kinda the same thing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Induction stoves do not have magnets in them. They have electrical coils that oscillate when turned on. A magnetic field is created to induce current in the bottom of a ferrous pan. (The coil under the stove top is super low resistance so no heat and the iron pan bottom at high frequencies is very high resistance and gets hot).

I am not a Dr.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Oh, yes, here, too. I have to carry a bundle of them in my car.

It is annoyance for our own good.
    Plus I guess a well connected company is making decent money selling the same old plastic bags at 1000 percent mark up. I just do my shopping in small increments with a rucksack, on my bicycle. I will outhipsterize the whole process.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast