starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evil gas stoves

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Did you like my suggestion about fusion power?
    Forget that, we just need more plugs.

Quick, to the legislature!

I don’t think it’s the gas stoves themselves that are bad, but having the proper ventilation to use them that’s the issue. Every cookie cutter house has a microwave that “ventilates.” Which is total BS because it just forces the fumes back into the kitchen.

My house has a gas line for a gas stove, but for me to use it I will need to install a hood that properly vents to the outside. Right now it’s a BS microwave fan that does nothing. Part of me thinks that the government is going “people not smart enough to use properly, let’s ban it.”

If that’s the case, include donut spare tires. It amazes me seeing people use those going 80 plus on the interstate while using one of those.

The problem is ventilation. Many homes, old and new do not have the proper ventilation hood style. By gas code, it is not required given the amount of BTUs that a normal gas stove emits. Same with the gas fireplaces that are rated under 40,000 btu, not required to vent via a chimney. Gas company and fire departments deal with this crap daily. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. If the goobernet wants to ban any kind of gas appliance, ban the gas clothes dryer. But leave my gas stove, gas furnace and gas FP alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekker_head View Post
    I don’t think it’s the gas stoves themselves that are bad, but having the proper ventilation to use them that’s the issue. Every cookie cutter house has a microwave that “ventilates.” Which is total BS because it just forces the fumes back into the kitchen.

My house has a gas line for a gas stove, but for me to use it I will need to install a hood that properly vents to the outside. Right now it’s a BS microwave fan that does nothing. Part of me thinks that the government is going “people not smart enough to use properly, let’s ban it.”

If that’s the case, include donut spare tires. It amazes me seeing people use those going 80 plus on the interstate while using one of those.
    If you insist on giving them ideas, at least open up a think tank and make money doing it.

Look at the exception to International Residential Code section M1503.3.

My limited understanding on this subject is that a gas stove does not produce enough CO to cause a danger. A water heater and dryer need to be properly vented because they produce much more CO and are unattended. The microwave blower not great, but you can change the orientation of the blower so it blows air to an outside vent (either up or back).

Why don't you just cut out the section of wall behind your microwave and install a sheet metal vent on the outside? Electric stoves, especially crappy ones, are terrible to use and can't be used if the power goes out.

Both kitchen remodels I've done, I've installed a ventahood and another powerful, quality sheetmetal hood over the respective cooktops, and figured that's what folks who cook, do to keep grease off the rest of the kitchen.

Current farmhouse kitchen was changed to include a "dual fuel" range with propane cooktop and electric oven...that was because we found an older high end unit plumbed for propane, for cheap. We kept the old kitchen wood stove in the corner; we could have used the counter space, but one can cook all sorts of stuff in/on the woodstove while helping the other two wood stoves to heat the house. The oven does an awesome job with very even, surrounding heat.

Newer homes are TIGHT...tight enough that a weenie microwave hood vented to the outside can depressure the house enough to cause draft problems with a wood stove (cough cough), gotta crack a window for makeup air. Not a problem for our old houses!

Combine a tight house with a low volume room and a poorly vented gas burner, and yes, folks might cause themselves problems. But any health issue resulting from gas appliance use is, in my opinion, an indication of darwinian lack of common sense.

The state of WA currently prohibits combustion equipment for primary heating above 1500sf. That's super helpful for new arrivals who've not lived through a 5 day power outage during our infrequent northeasters with single digit temps. Spec home builders don't care, and therefore keeping a newer home thawed requires extraordinary measures for which folks aren't prepared. Easy to run a gas furnace on a small aux generator; less so to run heat pump on same.

During the big freeze a couple of years ago, a friend in Austin with an electric heat pump blocked off the kitchen of his historic district home and used his gas stove to stay warm. He's smart enough not to get killed by carbon monoxide. During the day he went out into his car, fortuitously parked in the sun, and read in the solar warmth.

This has absolutely nothing to do with ventilation or "the environment". It's about giving you less options and making it easier for them to use the power grid as a tool of control (rolling blackouts, etc).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    This has absolutely nothing to do with ventilation or "the environment". It's about giving you less options and making it easier for them to use the power grid as a tool of control (rolling blackouts, etc).
    We are all to be slaves. When you look at it that way, everything makes sense.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast