starting strength gym

Thread: 2.5” vs. 3” wide lifting belt?

Default 2.5” vs. 3” wide lifting belt?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m probably overthinking this but here goes.

I bought a 4” belt from “Best Belts” that I love the workmanship of. I’m 5’6”, 185 lbs. I love the belt for squats but I can definitely feel it “cutting into” my hips during deadlift set-up and to a lesser extent at the bottom of a squat. I want to buy a thinner belt from the same company. They come in a 2.5” and 3” size. I’d rather buy just one.

Which would be a better call? 2.5” or 3”? Would there be a downside to just getting the 2.5” size and be certain it won’t cut into my waist/hips for either type of lift? I’m guessing that I’d use the belt for both squats and deadlifts.

I don't know how much luck you're going to have getting a belt from Best right now. They seem to be barely functioning. Why don't you try a single-ply 3" belt from Dominion? If you like it, fine. If you don't I'll buy it from you. If you decide you'd rather have a two-ply instead, I'll still buy it from you. You will have no problem with the quality.

Equipment | Starting Strength

I ordered a belt from Best Belts about a year ago. They took my money but I never got the belt. I've sent emails and made phone calls since then and have never even gotten a response. I don't know what's happened to them and I can't find any information online.

It's a shame. I bought a belt from them in 2017 that I loved. It showed almost no signs of wear after seven years of use when I sold it to a friend.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I’m extremely happy with my starting strength single ply belt. Can’t go wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know how much luck you're going to have getting a belt from Best right now. They seem to be barely functioning. Why don't you try a single-ply 3" belt from Dominion? If you like it, fine. If you don't I'll buy it from you. If you decide you'd rather have a two-ply instead, I'll still buy it from you. You will have no problem with the quality.
    Starting Strength, two-ply 3” belt ordered from Dominion. I’m sure I won’t be asking you to buy it from me!

If you like it, fine. If you don't I'll buy it from you. If you decide you'd rather have a two-ply instead, I'll still buy it from you.
    This is impressive. Living in Florida, or at least where I live in Florida, it takes a miracle for a business to even return a phone call (because they never answer the phone initially so a message must be left) much less do what they say they are going to do. This kind of integrity almost brings a tear to my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    I’m probably overthinking this but here goes.

I bought a 4” belt from “Best Belts” that I love the workmanship of. I’m 5’6”, 185 lbs. I love the belt for squats but I can definitely feel it “cutting into” my hips during deadlift set-up and to a lesser extent at the bottom of a squat. I want to buy a thinner belt from the same company. They come in a 2.5” and 3” size. I’d rather buy just one.

Which would be a better call? 2.5” or 3”? Would there be a downside to just getting the 2.5” size and be certain it won’t cut into my waist/hips for either type of lift? I’m guessing that I’d use the belt for both squats and deadlifts.
    I was in this exact situation word for word, love my Best belt to bits, and didn't want to part with it. Rip told me I would learn to love my Dominion too and he was correct. I use Best for squats, and Dominion for pulls the past 3 years or so. But when travelling I'd only take the smaller, lighter one. I have tried a lot of belts, the Dominion is cheap and does exactly what you need it to. Like your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    … and does exactly what you need it to. Like your Mom.
    True that. But you never FULLY understand that what you need isn’t necessarily what you THINK you need… until after she’s gone!

starting strength coach development program

Equipment | Starting Strength
    Received my Dominion belt a few days ago.

There was some confusion though. When it showed up on my credit card bill (used for PayPal), the company showed up as WIX on my statement. My wife asked me if I’d bought anything from them and I said no as I’d never heard of it. She canceled it before we realized that it was the company Dominion uses to service their PayPal orders. Dominion was cool though. I submitted a new payment. They kept me in the same place in their queue for delivery as when I ordered it. So for anyone who buys from them, be aware if you like to check your credit card statements.

Mark, you’re definitely off the hook for having to buy it from me. It’s a keeper. Very solid belt. I bought the Starting Strength two-ply version. The 3” width works great for deadlift (much better than my 4” belt which does cut into my hip). Fits perfectly. I might try it for squats as well.

I hope I’ll still be using it right up to the time I croak. I’m a happy camper.