starting strength gym

Thread: SS Radio #196: High-Performance Driving: The Driver's Edge with Rick and Cathrine

Default SS Radio #196: High-Performance Driving: The Driver's Edge with Rick and Cathrine

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Really enjoyed this one. Sounds like a great group of people and good insight into something I’ve always wondered about. I would definitely recommend and try be a customer in the future.
    Today is my 1 year anniversary with my Toyota Camry and I still enjoy getting in and out of it everyday. Solid all around vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
    Really enjoyed this one. Sounds like a great group of people and good insight into something I’ve always wondered about. I would definitely recommend and try be a customer in the future.
    Today is my 1 year anniversary with my Toyota Camry and I still enjoy getting in and out of it everyday. Solid all around vehicle.
    While the most fun might be had in a higher-end vehicle, I’d think pushing the envelope in commodity-level like most of us have, would require a lot of skill. That in itself could be very satisfying.

(Camry is certainly solid.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Very good program. Wonderful people!

Rip you mentioned your electrical gremlin issue with the M6. I had a similar experience with my 2006 650I (E63). I purchased the car from my local BMW dealer in 2008 with 4,000 miles on it. The original owner had electrical drain issues which were never properly diagnosed or corrected.

I had one episode of electrical drainage and failure to start shortly after the purchase. A friend of mine- an independent BMW factory trained technician immediately diagnosed the problem as driver error in the shutdown sequence. Difficult to trace or replicate and an annuity for repair shops.

Models with the push button start have a bad habit of not shutting down and staying shut down if you miss sequence pushing the start/stop button and removing your foot from the brake. The car will return to radio mode and drain the battery over night if this mistake is made. I have no idea why the radio mode does not have a timer to shut if off, cheaper cars do, maybe mine died. I have learned to double check before exiting the car and have not had any more episodes.

My 650 has the ZF 6HP 28 automatic transmission. Your M6 with the ZF S6-53 stick shifter may function in a different manner. This information may or may not apply to your situation.

My 650I now has 98,000 miles on it (I alternate driving it with my 84 318I ,E30 five speed manual) and have had only regular maintenance performed in 15 years of ownership of the 6.

As a side note, my wife drives a 2013 MB ML350 which had to be hauled to the dealer from the airport when we returned from a trip. Both the main and backup batteries died. It may be a German car thing!

Quote Originally Posted by David Roberts View Post
    Models with the push button start have a bad habit of not shutting down and staying shut down if you miss sequence pushing the start/stop button and removing your foot from the brake. The car will return to radio mode and drain the battery over night if this mistake is made.
    What is the correct sequence?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is the correct sequence?
    Rip
    To start my 650I requires that it be in park with the brake depressed followed by a single press of the start button.

To shutdown if you are driving without the key fob in the ignition, the car must be in park, and two presses of the start button are required to shutdown, 1st press stops the engine, 2nd press turns off the accessories (BMW calls it radio mode). Press 1 can be done with the brake depressed or not. Press 2 cannot be done with the brake depressed or the engine will restart. A discernible, almost mechanical sounding click can be heard with the 2nd press when it shuts down.

Shutting down with the key fob in the ignition requires a single press of the start button. Removing the key fob acts as the 2nd press and shuts down the accessories.

Drivers exiting the automobile without executing the second press of the start button for keyless shutdown, or who exit and leave the key fob in the ignition, leave the car in accessory mode which will run down the battery.

The dash board gives no visual indication that it is still in accessory mode but seconds after you exit the radio will begin playing if it is on. Otherwise there is no indication.

I have learned to double check that the car is completely turned off before exiting.

I realize this sounds silly and I felt like an idiot when technician walked me through it. But it worked. And it has happened to a lot of people.

I hope this remedies your problem since it is an inexpensive fix.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks. But what about a standard transmission? I don't have a "park."