starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High School Curriculum

Default High School Curriculum

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings Rip,
    I am a member of a board of directors for a private school that has recently gotten our first building. We have been sharing space with a church until now. The new space is going to have a weight room. I am a believer in the SS method and have completed a NLP of my own. I would like to try to use what influence I have to convince the school to adopt a strength training curriculum based on Starting Strength as an alternative to our general PE class for 9-12 grade. After searching a for a bit on the site I found a sample syllabus for a college level class here: Detailing the Use of the Starting Strength Method Within a Physical Fitness Curriculum | Gregory Hess.

I was curious if anyone has already created a high school curriculum. If not, then I will attempt to create one. I was also wondering if there are any helpful rules of thumb for planning equipment purchases for a properly equipped barbell gym that is able to adequately teach and run NLPs for students. For instance, 1 squat rack for every 5 lifters, 420# of plates for each barbell, etc.

Thanks for any insight and your time.

You're heart is in the right place, even if you haven't yet realized that the coaching staff will not buy in. But we'll ask the board for advice.

There is a chance I could become the coach, actually. I will be leaving the board of directors next fall to take a part time teaching role for some upper division high school classes. I previously taught PE before I was on the board also, so I have a little bit of credibility with our administration on the subject. I also have experience creating curriculum for this age. I'm obviously not an ssc, but I am the closest thing we have and I hope to get the school to at least split the cost with me on a seminar sometime in the future to aid in preparation. We have just always had to make do with zero equipment (high intensity calisthenics mostly) and no one will know exactly what to do with it when we get it. They may turn me down, but I would like to create as complete a proposal as possible to take in for evaluation. The fact that barbells are cheaper than machines will probably help me sell the idea also. I doubt anyone else will think ahead of time that some kind of programming will be needed, until we get into the weight room and realize nobody knows what to do. For mere safety reasons, I am optimistic I can convince them to let me take the program on, in addition to the merits. We are a small school without an existing professional fitness or coaching staff who have been educated into functional fitness or whatever.

I also forgot to mention that the class would most likely meet Mon Weds Fri and it would be for about an hour, if that information is needed. The class is usually at the end of the day, meaning that motivated students could stay longer to finish incomplete workouts if they need extra time. My thoughts for the class are that it would mostly be coaching while students work through an NLP, but, if there is time, I think the academic side of SS could easily be incorporated into brief mini-lectures, handouts and later tested over on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofDarkness View Post
    I think the academic side of SS could easily be incorporated into brief mini-lectures, handouts and later tested over on paper.
    Can you share your location?

sb

Middle Tennessee. I can't give the school name yet because, while not exactly a secret, the acquisition of the building is not widely known publicly because we are in the "silent phase" of a capital campaign to pay for the renovations. Our development team hasn't given us permission to spread it widely yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofDarkness View Post
    Middle Tennessee. I can't give the school name yet because, while not exactly a secret, the acquisition of the building is not widely known publicly because we are in the "silent phase" of a capital campaign to pay for the renovations. Our development team hasn't given us permission to spread it widely yet.
    Too long a commute! Asking to see if I could help. (And maybe enroll my kid).

I am in South Texas and have used SS as the basis for a 6-12 grade PE curriculum, albeit not to the extent you are looking at. I do think it would make for a great curriculum. If I can be of any assistance: sean_receiver "at" hotmail.com

sb

Thanks friend,
    Gonna drop you a line. I'm curious how you approached it and how you sold the idea to your school.

Yesterday I observed a 115 pound HS "football player" do powercleans with 95 pounds while wearing crocs. Painful to watch. I later saw him on the green plastic rug sprinting with the prowler while, again, wearing crocs.

So much work is needed. Godspeed, Teacherman.

So much potential in these kids. I am at least encouraged that he did power cleans at all. I spoke to a high school strength coach recently who said the conventional wisdom for strength programs in high school is to move to hang cleans for "safety." I asked if he had a lot of injuries with power cleans and he said no, it was just a fad that coaches now suddenly believe that their kids are too stupid to master power cleans because they are too technical. Schools are dumbing down everything, even strength training, if they have it.

starting strength coach development program
    Below I have posted the course objectives for a hypothetical strength training class for our school. This document would be given to a teacher in the event that a new teacher came in to the class and had to teach strength training the way we wanted. This would also go into our accreditation files so our accrediting body could evaluate the course. This is not the same as a syllabus. I am asking for constructive criticism. What essentials have I forgotten? What inessentials have I included? etc. I would also like to hear opinions on the sequence that these things should be taught as the list below is not necessarily in chronological order. This is a first draft and I apologize for the shoddy formatting, the original is more organized but didn't copy/paste into the forum smoothly. I have the original in a PDF if anyone cares to see that one. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to look it over. Extra thanks if you offer some advice.

Strength Training

Grade Level: 9-11

Course Description: Strength Training is a strenuous Physical Education course which emphasizes training with barbells with the focused goal of getting stronger. Academic content for the course involves the biology and anatomy of strength training. Academic content will be limited to “bite sized” segments and delivered mostly in the form of brief lectures prior to the daily lifting, supplemented by handouts. The physical component of the class is a strictly observed strength training progression which requires students to learn correct lifting technique and repeatedly perform heavy lifts correctly throughout the school year during each class and make steady and predictable progress throughout. All students who enroll will perform the Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression.

Time per Week: 3 hours

Texts and Resources: Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd Ed. by Mark Rippetoe
    Practical Programming for Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe and Andy Baker

Teaching and Assessment Methods: Lecture, demonstration and performance, platform coaching, strength gains, brief readings, written assessments. Grading will take into account strength gains made on the five major lifts of the Starting Strength Novice Linear Progression. All students in the class will be expected to demonstrate predictable, objective strength gains which are simply measured by how much weight they can lift with correct form.

Scope and Sequence:
    (I) Skill or content is introduced (G) Grammar-level skill or content
    (T) Skill or content is taught (L/D) Logic/Dialectic-level skill or content
    (M) Skill or content is mastered (R) Rhetoric-level skill or content

Course Objectives:
    Students will:

1. Understand Strength
    1.1 Define strength as defined in Starting Strength. (T)(M)(G)
    1.2 Understand the two factor model of training. (I)(M)(L/D)
    1.3 Learn why Barbells are the optimal tool for strength training. (T)(L)
    1.4 Explain the benefits of strength. (M)(L)(R)
    1.5 Demonstrate weight room etiquette and equipment safety. (T)(L)(G)
    1.6 Review the scientific method. (M)(G)

2. Understand Muscle Function and Biology
    2.1 Explain the stimulus, response, adaptation cycle. (M)(L)
    2.2 Differentiate between muscle types and their specializations (Type I, IIa, IIx). (T)(G)
    2.3 Understand the unique adaptations resulting from different training programs. (T)(L/D)
    2.4 Relate the second and third order effects of strength training on physiology. (T)(L/D)
    2.5 Articulate how different muscle types are “powered” (ATP, aerobic, etc.) (T)(L/D)
    2.6 Examine, analyze and evaluate common claims in the nutrition, fitness and equipment markets. (T)(R)
    2.7 Explain the role of hormones in muscle growth. (T)(L/D)
    2.8 Differentiate between catabolic and anabolic states. (T)(G)

3. Mechanics, Anatomy and Physiology
    3.1 Explain the concept of the “Moment Arm.” (T)(L/D)
    3.1.1 Demonstrate proper form on all lifts. (T)(R)
    3.1.2 Illustrate how moment arm dictates proper lifting form.(T)(L/D)(R)
    3.1.3 Coach peers and demonstrate ongoing vigilance to help others with form. (T)(R)
    3.2 Explain the concept of anthropometry, develop the skill of analyzing anthropometry and deducing relevant information for lifters based on it. (T)(L/D)
    3.3 Develop a familiarity with specific muscles’ names, functions, insertions and their relations to joints and motor units. Use correct terminology to articulate a muscle’s functions. (T)(G)
    4. Nutrition for Strength Training
    4.1 Dietary nutrition
    4.1.1 Explain the need and effect of protein intake on the body. (T)(L/D)
    4.1.2 Explain the importance of fat as a nutrient. (T)(L/D)
    4.1.3 Explain the effect of Carbohydrates as a fuel supply.(T)(L/D)
    4.2 Supplemental Nutrition
    4.2.1 Discuss the proper use of protein supplements.(T)(L/D)
    4.2.2 Define and explain Amino Acids.(T)(G)
    4.2.3 Explain how creatine works.(T)(L/D)
    4.2.4 Define various kinds of PEDs including their effects, risks and ethics.(T)(L/D)
    4.3 Body composition-Its effect on the NLP and strength in general.(T)(L/D)

5. Starting Strength Method
    5.1 Demonstrate, perform and explain the major lifts correctly.(T)(R)
    5.1.1 Low Back Squat (M)(R)
    5.1.2 Press (Overhead)(M)(R)
    5.1.3 Deadlift(M)(R)
    5.1.4 Bench Press(M)(R)
    5.1.5 Power Clean(M)(R)
    5.1.6 Recommended Assistance exercises.(T)(R)
    5.2 Differentiate between “muscle group” and “movement pattern” targeting.(T)(L/D)
    5.3 Explain why these five lifts are optimal for strength training.(T)(R)
    5.4 Explain why the SS program recommends “5s.”(T)(L/D)
    5.5 Explain how to determine the appropriate increments for load increases for a given lifter, at a given point in progression, for a given lift.(I)(R)(L/D)
    5.6 Learn how to make programming modifications for atypical lifters, and why modifications should be used seldom and be as limited as possible.(I)(R)(L/D)
    5.7 Solve problems such as “plateaus,” chronic injury, and sub optimal lifting capacities (such as a mismatch of lifting numbers, i.e. Squat 245 but only Deadlift 225)(I)(R)(L/D)

6. Novice Linear Progression
    6.1 Maintain a workout journal according to SS instructions.(M)(G)
    6.2 Explain the programming of the NLP and adhere to it.(M)(G)
    6.3 Explain the effect of recovery management and nutrition on the NLP.(T)(L/D)
    6.4 Identify reasonable starting work set weights.(T)(L/D)
    6.5 Make predictable and reasonable strength gains throughout the course.(T)(R)
    6.6 Make programming adjustments when needed to overcome stalling in progress.(I)(R)
    6.7 Intermediate lifters only: Create a program for ongoing strength training beyond the NLP.(I)(R)
    6.8 Scientifically measure athletic performance at the outset of the program and periodically during the program to test the physical effects of the NLP.(T)(L/D)(R)

Novice Linear Progression programming consists of three workouts per week. Each workout consists initially of three lifts. They are alternated. Slight variations may take place for individual lifters as they progress.

Workout A Workout B
    Low Back Squat 3x5 Low Back Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5 Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5 Deadlift 1x5, or Power clean 3x5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast