starting strength gym

Thread: Inna Koppel SSC: Becoming a Starting Strength Kid

Default Inna Koppel SSC: Becoming a Starting Strength Kid

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Hello,
    Very cool video! Nice to get more focus that strength training is something that is for kids too.

I have a questing about training with kids. My oldest son who is about to turn 14 has never been very interested in sports. Earlier on he was quite active and have tried all kinds of sports, but none of which made him enthusiastic and he mostly went to meet with his buddies. Now "everybody" is only gaming as does he, and it has been like this for a couple of years. I am worried about this, but still I cant pressure him to do stuff he don't want to.

The last four months or so he has shown interest in lifting weights and is regularly doing sessions together with me. That is very cool! We are focusing on the press, bench, squat and deadlift. I think he has quite good form on the upper body exercises, but has some challenges with the squat and deadlift. He does not have very good body control, obviously because gaming instead of climbing trees like we did in back in the days. Especially keeping a straight lower back on squats is difficult. There is no way he can go below parallel without rounding his back.

We are taking it very easy and he is still squatting lower than 40 kg with a bodyweight of around 60 kg. Lifting the same weight every time does not motivate him and he is of course very eager to put on more at every workout. I have been letting him do that some times (+2.5kg) because it feels safe since the weights are low. What I am noticing is that the form is improving on the warm ups and the first reps, but when it gets a little heavy for him, the form breaks.

So the question is should we never increase the weights before the form is perfect, and if so should he do some stretching or high rep work instead? Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stan