starting strength gym

Thread: Food advice, red spots and seminar savings

Default Food advice, red spots and seminar savings

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Uncle Rippy,

First of all I'd like to say thanks for everything you do. After reading the blue book I stepped into the gym at 25 years old, 5'11, 145 pounds. 1,5 years later (with a 2,5 month break after getting injured playing soccer) I now weigh 230 and the bodyweight is still going up. My lifts went from 155 pounds for three sets of five to 420 pounds for three sets of five on the squat, 130 for three sets of five to 245 for three sets of five on the bench, 175 for one set of five to 490 for one set of five on the deadlift and 75 pounds for three sets of five to 170 pounds for three sets of five on the press. The upper body lifts are a bit low, but they are catching up quickly after I learned I need to take bigger breaks between sets. I also have long arms - I look a bit like the orangutan on your desk - so that probably plays a role as well in those lifts being on the low side.

Anyway, the questions:

I recently quit my awful office job and decided to become a HVAC technician. I feel like I made the right choice switching jobs, but there are also some problems. I have trouble eating enough because of the switch to manual labor, which is costing quite a bit of energy. At my previous job I could also store a couple cartons of milk in the fridge to drink while sitting at my desk, but I don't have that luxury now. Because of that I probably dropped from getting 5000-6000 calories per day to around 4500. As you can probably tell from my starting weight it takes some real effort for me to eat enough. Do you have any advice for getting more calories while on the job (or at any other time)? I was thinking of putting some protein bars in my pockets and just eating those throughout the day, but that probably won't be enough.

Second question:

Sometimes after a really difficult set (like earlier today on the squat) I get a lot of red spots on my skin around the shoulders/traps and sometimes face/neck. It doesn't look too bad and it usually goes away after a day or so. Should I be worried or is it harmless? I can include a picture if needed.

Last one:

I'd like to visit a seminar, but still have to save up some money after the job switch. I also have to pay back back roughly 35.000 euros in student loans for my literature degree (I know I fucked up). Do you think it's worth saving up to visit the seminar as soon as possible or should I just continue lifting, pay off my debts, invest in some tools and a better car and come to a seminar in 2-3 years time?

Thanks again,

Tim

1. If you eat enough bars, it will be enough. Or get a little ice chest for your milk.

2. That is called petechiae. It is of no concern, just some aggravated capillaries.

3. Better to make the student loan wait than improvement in your training.

How is HVAC work? I always see trades guys posting online that they are doing pretty okay despite how fucked everything is. It sounds like a better way to go than any service jobs, which are completely fucking insane both in who you deal with and who you work for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Coenen View Post
    Dear Uncle Rippy,

First of all I'd like to say thanks for everything you do. After reading the blue book I stepped into the gym at 25 years old, 5'11, 145 pounds. 1,5 years later (with a 2,5 month break after getting injured playing soccer) I now weigh 230 and the bodyweight is still going up. My lifts went from 155 pounds for three sets of five to 420 pounds for three sets of five on the squat, 130 for three sets of five to 245 for three sets of five on the bench, 175 for one set of five to 490 for one set of five on the deadlift and 75 pounds for three sets of five to 170 pounds for three sets of five on the press. The upper body lifts are a bit low, but they are catching up quickly after I learned I need to take bigger breaks between sets. I also have long arms - I look a bit like the orangutan on your desk - so that probably plays a role as well in those lifts being on the low side.

Anyway, the questions:

I recently quit my awful office job and decided to become a HVAC technician. I feel like I made the right choice switching jobs, but there are also some problems. I have trouble eating enough because of the switch to manual labor, which is costing quite a bit of energy. At my previous job I could also store a couple cartons of milk in the fridge to drink while sitting at my desk, but I don't have that luxury now. Because of that I probably dropped from getting 5000-6000 calories per day to around 4500. As you can probably tell from my starting weight it takes some real effort for me to eat enough. Do you have any advice for getting more calories while on the job (or at any other time)? I was thinking of putting some protein bars in my pockets and just eating those throughout the day, but that probably won't be enough.

Second question:

Sometimes after a really difficult set (like earlier today on the squat) I get a lot of red spots on my skin around the shoulders/traps and sometimes face/neck. It doesn't look too bad and it usually goes away after a day or so. Should I be worried or is it harmless? I can include a picture if needed.

Last one:

I'd like to visit a seminar, but still have to save up some money after the job switch. I also have to pay back back roughly 35.000 euros in student loans for my literature degree (I know I fucked up). Do you think it's worth saving up to visit the seminar as soon as possible or should I just continue lifting, pay off my debts, invest in some tools and a better car and come to a seminar in 2-3 years time?

Thanks again,

Tim
    Those protein bars are just going to give you diarrhea. And they are expensive. If you're working hard make 3-4 sandwiches, heavy on meat, and crush those while your sitting in traffic. Eat a huge breakfast and a big dinner.

When my daughter was going through the stage where she felt she had to sip water all day long, she used to freeze it to keep it cool all day as it melted. You might try that with a gallon of milk. Just pour off a little bit of the milk before you do so the jug doesn’t burst when you freeze it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Coenen View Post
    The answer to your conundrum lies in basic economics which I encourage you to consider.

1) Don’t feel that you screwed up by getting a degree in Lit. Your investment is now a “sunken” cost that’s now history at this point. So let go of the regret and focus on the positives. At some point in your life, you’re going to be glad that you can actually read difficult things and that you can hopefully write coherently (assuming your degree wasn’t pure fluff). Those are both valuable skills no matter what you go into.

2) With a 35K Euro debt, the cost of the seminar today will add almost nothing to the duration of your repayment program. On the other hand, the opportunity cost of delaying it by 2 to 3 years is huge if you find barbell strength training valuable. You’ll learn a lot that can ONLY speed up your process of getting stronger. Also, hanging out for a few days with like-minded people will be VERY motivating. Trust me, if you don’t, in a few years, as a weaker man, you’ll really regret not having bit the bullet today.

Beg, borrow, or as a last resort steal the money. If you do the latter, don’t use a deadly weapon or you’ll dramatically reduce your expected ROI (Return On Investment).

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    How is HVAC work? I always see trades guys posting online that they are doing pretty okay despite how fucked everything is. It sounds like a better way to go than any service jobs, which are completely fucking insane both in who you deal with and who you work for.
    Just had my usual hvac company install a new system at a property and they have never been busier. I’m in Connecticut and while some things seem to have slowed, there is still a massive need for service and install in hvac.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely get a little ice box for the milk and start packing some bigger lunches with meat. Those are all pretty easy to eat for me, so hopefully that will work. As for the seminar I am not 100% sure when I'll go yet. I still have to save some money anyway, so in the meantime I will think about it. I'll probably end up going somewhere in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I think it depends on a few factors. In my country (the Netherlands) there is a massive demand for tradesmen, so companies are willing to invest in you. I found a place that pays for my education, work clothes, as well as any books I need. I work four 8+ hour days and study 1 day, but I get paid as if I work five 8 hour days. I make about the same amount of money as I did working the office job, but this work is fullfilling. I help keep peoples houses warm instead of typing useless reports etc. Also there is plenty to learn and for those willing to take the extra step, there is a lot of money to be made. I know a guy who is at 50k/year + bonuses working a relaxed 40 hours/week as a service technician. His pension is taken care of by the company and they give him a free phone/laptop every x years. The company also provides a car for him that he can drive in his spare time as well.