starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for replacement for the trap bar video

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That doesn't sound exciting. Make a better suggestion.
    The trap bar being inferior didn't sound exciting either. Yet it was the most productive.

Almost everyone, across domains of anything gym related, listens to music as a habit and because it's what they think you should do. And it adds nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by thras View Post
    Mirrors. You could do the Enter the Dragon mirror room scene, but with you and Rusty at a 24 Hour Fitness.
    A mirrors video would definitely trigger a lot of people. It's the kind of thing many will cling to no matter how reasonable the argument against it.

One of the craziest things I used to see in globo gyms was people doing deadlifts with their head turned 90 degrees to "get their form right".

Another consideration.........Bulgarian lunges, and/or "landmine press" and everything else that pertains to the "landmine attachment" .......I still vote for my first reply......BB hip thrusters.......

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    The trap bar being inferior didn't sound exciting either. Yet it was the most productive.

Almost everyone, across domains of anything gym related, listens to music as a habit and because it's what they think you should do. And it adds nothing.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Good point. Basically, just emphatically tell people they are wrong about something, and the hate will rise. This is also why the plate video was good hater bait. Rip didn't just explain why putting plates on the rack a certain way is better, he explicitly said not to do it the wrong way. That pisses people off, especially in participation trophy culture. If the video was titled something like "Never listen to music while lifting", it might do the trick.

Rip has already published videos on the primacy of objective reasoning (e.g. mechanical analysis of the trap bar deadlift) over subjective preferences (e.g. music). Maybe watch those again.

How about a thumbless grip bench press video?

Spoof video of RPE- Rippetoe Performance Equivalency.

Scaled from 1-10 based on a calculation of the weight on the bar divided by the lifters body weight multiplied by the lift factors as follows. Deadlift 4X, Squat 5X, Bench 6X, Press 10X.

Works as follows. Weight on Bar 435 lbs / Lifter weight 175 lbs= 2.5 which is multiplied by 4 for the Deadlift to yield an RPE of 10. For this lifter a bar weight of 135 lbs would be an RPE 3 (3.1). You can see that the RPE is a reflection of body weight multiples converted to a scale that is easily recognized by the Rate of Perceived Exertion crowd.

This calculation applies as lifter weights and weight on the bar vary while using the prescribed multiple for each lift.

Please regard this as a creative mind fart. I have not given this much thought. It may even be an idea that is already in use. It is open source (in the vernacular) so sharper minds than mine can contribute to the concept and potential script for the video as they see fit.

The method for determining Rippetoe Performance Equivalency is based not on feelings or emotion- but on THE SCIENCE!

Your welcome.

*Credit to the Santana Podcast for the body weight multiples used in determining the RPE 10 levels.
    **Any calculation and logic errors are my own.
    ***Calculations are rounded to eliminate the impression of precision.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    How about a thumbless grip bench press video?
    Uuuh, I got another one. Rubber gloves!

starting strength coach development program
    BOSU balls, as I’ve requested before to no avail. Ideal PSI, bosu deadlift tips, etc. It is a goldmine of lifting ideas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast