starting strength gym

Thread: What to do after a callus tears?

Default What to do after a callus tears?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I watched the video where mark explains how to prevent/minimize callus formation by gripping the bar higher in the hand , the place where it's already trying to go

I retore a callus today after tearing it for the first time exactly a month ago

They both happened the exact same way , Deadlifting using a hook grip and I only notice them like 5 minutes after they happen.

I do make sure to manage my calluses, is this just something unavoidable having small hands (I remember Mark saying that's more problematic) and using hook grip?

Also now that it's torn again how should I go about it? (Should I cut off the remaining skin and is there something I can do to make it heal faster or better?)

I plan on taping it and continuing to pull.

Thanks in advance.

You have to trim the torn skin down as close as you can get it, and then keep it filed off as it heals. Might be time to think about switching to another grip.

Rip, have you ever used any of the liquid skin products for temporary protection of a torn callus?

No, because a deep callus tear cannot be protected by anything other than a leather glove. You can glue it down, but it will rupture when it's loaded. The glove is a problem too because it makes the bar "fatter."

What does filed off mean? Make sure something covers it?

Switching to mixed would suck, it took me a while to get used to hook but I feel really good with it now

You know what a "file" is?

File (tool) - Wikipedia

Nail file - Wikipedia

There are bars with smaller diameters (usually marketed as "women's bars" but who cares), if this is a problem due to your smaller hands that might be an option. Note that they're usually lighter too, so you'll have to check if it can handle the loads you intend to use (and adjust your calculations with the plates).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Al2020 View Post
    What does filed off mean? Make sure something covers it?

Switching to mixed would suck, it took me a while to get used to hook but I feel really good with it now
    Are you competing? If not just use straps. If so, well good luck...