starting strength gym

Thread: How to do starting strength only training on weekends?

Default How to do starting strength only training on weekends?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark, hope you see this. I searched the forums and found some information from others on here about this topic but I wanted to hear your opinion on the subject. I’m a arborist, I climb trees all day and then get down and haul brush five days a week. With my previous employer I was able to get off work early enough to train after work and then be able to spend some time with my family in the evening, but at my new job we work longer hours and start later (I do at least make more money now.) I’m no longer able to train after work and am limited to only training Saturday and Sunday. How do you recommend I structure my training to continue making gains in strength while only training twice a week and on consecutive days? I’m currently on the novice linear program. I began lifting again January this year and my stats are as follows (where I started vs. where I am.)

Body weight: 150 / 160
    Squat 5x3: 205 / 275
    Bench 5x3: 165 / 197.5
    Press 5x3: 105 / 120
    Deadlift 5x1: 225 / 330
    Power clean 3x5: 135 (just started)

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Going to be tough. Squat and bench on Saturday, press and deadlift on Sunday. PR every workout, even though it will be harder to do.

Since you start later, can you switch your normal workouts to the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by TJVerde16 View Post
    Hi Mark, hope you see this. I searched the forums and found some information from others on here about this topic but I wanted to hear your opinion on the subject. I’m a arborist, I climb trees all day and then get down and haul brush five days a week. With my previous employer I was able to get off work early enough to train after work and then be able to spend some time with my family in the evening, but at my new job we work longer hours and start later (I do at least make more money now.) I’m no longer able to train after work and am limited to only training Saturday and Sunday. How do you recommend I structure my training to continue making gains in strength while only training twice a week and on consecutive days? I’m currently on the novice linear program. I began lifting again January this year and my stats are as follows (where I started vs. where I am.)

Body weight: 150 / 160
    Squat 5x3: 205 / 275
    Bench 5x3: 165 / 197.5
    Press 5x3: 105 / 120
    Deadlift 5x1: 225 / 330
    Power clean 3x5: 135 (just started)

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    If you're taller than 5'7"/5'8", keep gaining more weight and stay in a caloric surplus if you can, it'll definitely help with recovery and prolonging your progress. If you're taller than 6'0, start gaining weight fast, 10lbs in 3 months is slow.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I’ll give it a shot! Mark, how do you suggest I structure my PR workouts? As for working out before work, I train at my dads home gym, he won’t want me clanging weights around early in the morning. Also, I would have to go to bed earlier and lose out on the little time I have with my family in the evenings. I’ll try to eat more as well but my job burns so many calories it’s tough. I eat four hearty, high protein meals a day and drink almost a whole carton of milk!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I’ll give it a shot! Mark, how do you suggest I structure my PR workouts? As for working out before work, I train at my dads home gym, he won’t want me clanging weights around early in the morning. Also, I would have to go to bed earlier and lose out on the little time I have with my family in the evenings. I’ll try to eat more as well but my job burns so many calories it’s tough. I eat four hearty, high protein meals a day and drink almost a whole carton of milk!
    What is your age and height?
    (Just remember to put it in your original message whenever you ask for training advice)
    What is your dad gonna do, throw you out of the house for being a hard-working and disciplined kid because he might hear some metal sounds for an hour? Buy him some earplugs :P

I suggest you follow the program, and figure out a way to do it. We know it works.

I’m 33 and 5’8”. I don’t live there I just lift there. Lol, maybe that’ll motivate him to start lifting again. Thanks again for the advice everyone, I’m gonna do what you all suggested and make it work!

starting strength coach development program
    5'8" and 160 bw is a good problem to solve.