starting strength gym
Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Commentary #6: Global Warming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As the late George Carlin once said, "Formal conspiracy is unnecessary when interests converge."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Edited to add: The whole "you really believe everyone from academia to the government to scientists are in on a big conspiracy" line of rhetoric no longer works, because we literally just watched it happen in real-time with Covid.

Yes, we *really* think that, because we watched it happen.

Coincidentally, the *exact same people* who pushed the Covid nonsense are also pushing the carbon nonsense.
    Please explain to me how the governments of nations whose interests are fundamentally at odds (and in some cases literally at war) spontaneously decided to cooperate on these two issues. Or just pick one or the other, whatever you want. Because I don't see how agreeing on a lie would benefit opposing parties when you could choose to expose your enemy as a liar.

Or just ignore it and keep doing what you're doing.

Especially when both Iran and Russia are oil-exporting nations. Hell, Russia's oil exports account for (roughly, depending on the year) 18% of their GDP. Why would a nation so dependent on selling oil pledge to reduce their carbon emissions? You'd think they'd be exposing the bullshit instead of joining it.

I'm looking forward to reading your explanation of what seems to me like truly bizarre behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Please explain to me how the governments of nations whose interests are fundamentally at odds (and in some cases literally at war) spontaneously decided to cooperate on these two issues. Or just pick one or the other, whatever you want. Because I don't see how agreeing on a lie would benefit opposing parties when you could choose to expose your enemy as a liar.

Or just ignore it and keep doing what you're doing.
    Oberon, governments are composed of people. They are not entities unto themselves. And people like things like power and money. This isn't that complicated. Grow up.

Bumping this so it doesn't get lost:

Really, think about this: A 4.6 billion-year-old planet with an 8000-mile diameter, with a molten core (heat, etc.), with an atmosphere that is only 50 miles/240,000ft thick (being rather generous), that orbits a star only 93 million miles away with 330,000 times the earth's mass and that emits enough radiation to burn your naked ass in 30 minutes, is having its weather unalterably changed over the course of the next 5/10/15 years (whatever it is now) by the presence of a weak greenhouse gas, CO2, that happens to now be at its lowest level in damn near the entire history of the planet -- a history punctuated by global glaciations while that weak greenhouse gas was far higher than it is now -- and that also happens to be the basis of plant life (and therefore atmospheric oxygen), a gas whose greenhouse effect is dwarfed by that of water vapor (on a planet with a surface area that consists of 70% water), and that geologically is currently in an interglacial period. The models that generated this political bullshit have predicted nothing correctly -- not sea level change, polar ice cover, or weather.

And everybody believes it anyway, to the extent that they are handing the management of the world's economy to elderly megalomaniacs with an agenda based on their own personal power. You're not even allowed to question it -- otherwise sensible people have agreed with the ridiculous premise that CO2 is a deadly poison that must be eliminated from the surface of the earth. Every August, everybody runs around like it's not supposed to be hot. Every time there's a drought, everybody acts like it's the very first time it's been dry too long. "Hurricane season" started in June, and how many hurricanes have devastated the coastlines already inundated by the molten ice caps? How many times over the past 20 years of this shit have the hurricane predictions been correct?

Really, the children are in charge now, seeking validation for "caring about the planet," running around yelling about "carbon" -- the 4th most abundant element in the physical universe --being a deadly poison. Their managers are common criminals whose entire agenda is money and control, and we are letting it happen. It is the result of the shitty science education we received in the government schools, and it probably cannot be stopped.

And in addition, the Government that brought you the flu from China, lockdowns, and vaccines that killed far more people than the flu, the Government in charge of "public education", the war(s) in Asia, the economy, and pronouns wants to also be in charge of the weather. Because the people in the government like power and money.

Especially when both Iran and Russia are oil-exporting nations. Hell, Russia's oil exports account for (roughly, depending on the year) 18% of their GDP. Why would a nation so dependent on selling oil pledge to reduce their carbon emissions? You'd think they'd be exposing the bullshit instead of joining it.
    Who benefits more? A US where the government is actively trying to force compliance that can't work, or a country that gets others on board with compliance to their harm, then reneges on or outright fakes its own?

I seem to recall seeing this dynamic in the Cold War when it came to nuclear arms controls, among other things.

Please explain to me how the governments of nations whose interests are fundamentally at odds (and in some cases literally at war) spontaneously decided to cooperate on these two issues.
    Their interests are centralization of power and the subjugation of their citizenry. Covid and carbon are tools by which to accomplish both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Their interests are centralization of power and the subjugation of their citizenry. Covid and carbon are tools by which to accomplish both.
    Another factor to at least consider: which powers lose the most, in real tangible terms, when the global economy is interrupted? Whose defense systems are most dependent on its adversaries and a smoothly running global economy?

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

If I were China or Russia, I'd play along too.

...I'm not particularly convinced by arguments about the physics of it, or whatever. Nobody here is a climatologist, which means we're all stepping out of our lane, trying to argue about a topic we're not qualified to discuss. Every damn thing under the sun is more complicated when you dive into it than it seems at first; I don't see why the climate would be any different.
    Of course; the "you don't understand that 2+2 akkshually equals 5, because you aren't a mathematician" argument.
    Followed by "if you don't agree with me you are a: Racist [ ] Anti-Semite [ ] Conspiracy theorist [X]"

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Of course; the "you don't understand that 2+2 akkshually equals 5, because you aren't a mathematician" argument.
    Followed by "if you don't agree with me you are a: Racist [ ] Anti-Semite [ ] Conspiracy theorist [X]"
    Interestingly, one thing we here do know is strength training, and we also know that current state of "the science" of strength training is absolutely nonsensical, and that field doesn't have the WEF providing incentives to maintain the status quo.

Perhaps climatology isn't a farce due to some global conspiracy, but simply due to incompetence?

I'm not particularly convinced by arguments about the physics of it, or whatever. Nobody here is a climatologist
    If you are convinced something is true because an _____ologist said it instead of arguments stemming from fundamental physics, you have some serious thinking to do, and your credibility is in serious doubt.

which means we're all stepping out of our lane, trying to argue about a topic we're not qualified to discuss.
    Anyone who can formulate a valid, sound argument is qualified to discuss a topic. And this is a topic that more than just "climatologists" should be discussing, as it has tremendously far-reaching implications if the proposed legislative solutions are aimed at reducing or eliminating fossil fuels, which they all are. More of that fundamental physics stuff.

And on the other end of the spectrum, you have trivial legislation aimed at control and power with no actual impact on the issue and an impact on the bottom line. Pointless inflation ensues.

Every damn thing under the sun is more complicated when you dive into it than it seems at first; I don't see why the climate would be any different.
    Which is why something as simple as "CO2 Up = Bad" is a stupid fucking assertion.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    If you are convinced something is true because an _____ologist said it instead of arguments stemming from fundamental physics, you have some serious thinking to do, and your credibility is in serious doubt.

Anyone who can formulate a valid, sound argument is qualified to discuss a topic. And this is a topic that more than just "climatologists" should be discussing, as it has tremendously far-reaching implications if the proposed legislative solutions are aimed at reducing or eliminating fossil fuels, which they all are. More of that fundamental physics stuff.

And on the other end of the spectrum, you have trivial legislation aimed at control and power with no actual impact on the issue and an impact on the bottom line. Pointless inflation ensues.

Which is why something as simple as "CO2 Up = Bad" is a stupid fucking assertion.
    And Oberon has not refuted my argument. I even reposted it for him.

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast