starting strength gym
Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Commentary #6: Global Warming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    At this point, Climate Change is Faith, precisely the same exact thing as a religion.
    Hmm? Can't let this go begging. I have faith in you Mark, as a prophet you have a zeal that exceeds some of the more mundane Strength Training folk out there in the training world, and you know something, it works, I mean your method, been doing for about it for about 20 odd years now. So there you go.

BTW "Climate Change" does not require "Faith" if you stick you head out the window from time to time you will notice that the "Climate" changes from hour to hour, day to day, month to month and so on, so what is "Climate"? "generally prevailing weather conditions of a region", at the moment where I am the climate is stinking hot and will be for next few months, has been that way last year and all the way back as far as I can remember, nope no need for faith here.

Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    The powers that be know the sheep will fall for anything, so, apparently, climate crisis is the new opiate for the masses.
    It's more like a fentanyl overdose for the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Hmm? Can't let this go begging. I have faith in you Mark, as a prophet you have a zeal that exceeds some of the more mundane Strength Training folk out there in the training world, and you know something, it works, I mean your method, been doing for about it for about 20 odd years now. So there you go.

BTW "Climate Change" does not require "Faith" if you stick you head out the window from time to time you will notice that the "Climate" changes from hour to hour, day to day, month to month and so on, so what is "Climate"? "generally prevailing weather conditions of a region", at the moment where I am the climate is stinking hot and will be for next few months, has been that way last year and all the way back as far as I can remember, nope no need for faith here.
    Come on, wal - I'm donning my Captain Pedantic suit here - you're being sloppy with definitions here.

In modern English usage, "faith" has a wide semantic range. Rip's using it in one common sense, that of "a settled belief on grounds other than evidence." You're using it in a different common sense, that of "a settled trust based off of experience and/or evidence" when you apply it to Rip himself.

Similarly, "Climate Change" as Rip used it is referring to a set of beliefs that global climate is harmfully shifting to become warmer as a result of human-caused factors, presenting a threat of extinction for human beings, if not all life on the planet, for which humans are responsible to make changes to those human-caused factors. Saying "Climate Change" as a technical term is far more concise, and presumably why he capitalized the term there. That's what he's coupling with that first definition of faith.

Your use of the term to denote change in weather easily observable in a short period of time by direct personal observation, is actually compatible with the second use of faith, in the sense that you trust (based on experience and evidence) that the weather will continue to be hot down there for the summer. It does not fit the first use, as they are essentially distinct.

FAITH Definition & Usage Examples | Dictionary.com

1. Wal's confident it's going to be hot tomorrow.

2. Wal believes what's being foisted on us as "climate change" is real and we should be skeer'd.

Some years ago the 2nd definition was 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Come on, wal - I'm donning my Captain Pedantic suit here - you're being sloppy with definitions here.

In modern English usage, "faith" has a wide semantic range. Rip's using it in one common sense, that of "a settled belief on grounds other than evidence." You're using it in a different common sense, that of "a settled trust based off of experience and/or evidence" when you apply it to Rip himself.

Similarly, "Climate Change" as Rip used it is referring to a set of beliefs that global climate is harmfully shifting to become warmer as a result of human-caused factors, presenting a threat of extinction for human beings, if not all life on the planet, for which humans are responsible to make changes to those human-caused factors. Saying "Climate Change" as a technical term is far more concise, and presumably why he capitalized the term there. That's what he's coupling with that first definition of faith.

Your use of the term to denote change in weather easily observable in a short period of time by direct personal observation, is actually compatible with the second use of faith, in the sense that you trust (based on experience and evidence) that the weather will continue to be hot down there for the summer. It does not fit the first use, as they are essentially distinct.
    Your use of the term to denote change in weather easily observable in a short period of time by direct personal observation, is actually compatible with the second use of faith, in the sense that you trust (based on experience and evidence) that the weather will continue to be hot down there for the summer. It does not fit the first use, as they are essentially distinct.[/QUOTE]

I see what your are saying, but I am having a hard time believing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    FAITH Definition & Usage Examples | Dictionary.com

1. Wal's confident it's going to be hot tomorrow.

2. Wal believes what's being foisted on us as "climate change" is real and we should be skeer'd.

Some years ago the 2nd definition was 1st.
    Off course "climate change" is real Stumpy, governments are spending billions to make it cool again and the COP 28 folk were told by His Majesty (God bless His soul) that we have passed the tipping points, however Stumpy I can tell you that the climate around here will change in about two or three months from stinking dry hot to freezing cold and that has been that way since 1953.

No need to be skeer'd, the only thing to be skeer'd of is the Mrs when you come home from the pub drunk with smell of parfume all over you and you know what that means no cooking for a month.

I see what your are saying, but I am having a hard time believing it.
    Not sure whether I'm missing something, or you're making a joke off of belief/faith here...

I chuckled, though, at the prospect of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Not sure whether I'm missing something, or you're making a joke off of belief/faith here...

I chuckled, though, at the prospect of the latter.
    I am a religious person as Mark well knows and I have a Bible world view, but alas I have been unsuccessful thus far of convincing Mark to follow suit, although I have a sneaking suspicion that there were or perhaps are still some Evangelical folk in his family, I mean who can be a native of Texas without being connected in some way right?

However I am a bit of a shit stirrer too, I mean you Yankees are ripe for the picking sometime.

Off course "climate change" is real Stumpy, governments are spending billions to make it cool again and the COP 28 folk were told by His Majesty (God bless His soul) that we have passed the tipping points, however Stumpy I can tell you that the climate around here will change in about two or three months from stinking dry hot to freezing cold and that has been that way since 1953.

No need to be skeer'd, the only thing to be skeer'd of is the Mrs when you come home from the pub drunk with smell of parfume all over you and you know what that means no cooking for a month.
    What happened in 1953?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    What happened in 1953?
    Climate change was invented.

In early May, 1953, at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union, that Canadian physicist Gilbert Plass – who had been corresponding with Callendar – told the gathered scientists that trouble was afoot. Plass said that:

"The large increase in industrial activity during the present century is discharging so much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere that the average temperature is rising at the rate of 1.5 degrees per century."

Climate change first 'went viral' exactly 70 years ago

Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast