• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    6'3, 20 years old, ~230 BW, been training for about a year and a half
    Squat: 380 x 3 x 5
    Bench: 195 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift: 415 x 1 x 5
    Press: 137.5 x 3 x 5

I recently watched this video, where you tell a 25 year old lifter who's 6'4 and 215 that he should be deadlifting 675 by the end of the year. Given my stats, I can't imagine my situation is much different than his.

I understand that because I'm taller, I need to carry a heavier body weight to compensate for longer muscle bellies, and that also means I have a higher strength potential. I understand that I need to eat 5,000+ calories a day with 250+ grams of protein, get plenty of sleep, etc in order to do this.

I still, however, cannot fathom being able to pull, say, 635 lbs for a single by the end of 2023. I get that I have a high strength potential and all, but I mean, seriously? Going from a 450 deadlift to a 635 deadlift over a 7 month span without the help of anabolic steroids just seems ludicrous. I find it very hard to believe that I can get to such a high number in only a 7 month span where there are people like, say, Chase Lindley who pull 730 after 10+ years of training. How can I be within 100 lbs on the deadlift of someone like that just because of the fact that I'm 1-2 inches taller than him? It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just having a hard time grasping onto such an insane amount of progress in that time frame.

I just restarted my NLP after a long layoff while being sick, so I'm taking the first few weeks a bit slow.

So my question is, how should I expect this kind of progress by the end of 2023? Should I just run the NLP until I'm deadlifting 545x5? Even with my understanding of strength potential and its relation to height and body weight, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around such huge numbers, and I'm hoping you can help me understand this clearer.

You're missing the part about weighing 285.

Even if you gained a bunch of weight, I doubt you'll be pulling 635 by the end of the year. Thinking you can just have a straight LP from sub-500 to 635 is optimistic. Not because it isn't doable, but because stuff gets in the away, and a small back tweak or hamstring pull can set you back weeks or even a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
    Should I just run the NLP until I'm deadlifting 545x5?
    I've gotten to 585x5 by just pulling sets of 5. Now once every 10-15 days. Of course this hasn't been a straight LP -- I've had a shit ton of set-backs. Sometimes it has taken years to return to my previously set 5RM.

You'll have to see what works for you though.

Progress slows exponentially. You don't go from a 630 deadlift to a 730 deadlift over the last two years of a ten year training timeline, you go there over the last SIX.