starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where do you recommend old fat folks start?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by pd_oldguy View Post
    Lots of good information on this topic here:

Training the Emergency Weight Loss Trainee: Training the Emergency Weight Loss Trainee | Andy Baker

Starting Strength for the Obese Trainee: Starting Strength for the Obese Trainee | Nick Klemetson

Andy Baker - Coaching the obese part1: Coaching the Obese (Part 1) - Andy Baker
    Andy Baker - Coaching the obese part2: Coaching the Obese, Part 2 - Andy Baker
    Perfect, thanks for the links!

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    An excellent source is Dr Jason Fung he’s on YouTube and has several books
    Will check him out, thank you!

When I was 41 I was 6'4" and 350. Fat as Fuck. Decide upon a reasonable whole foods based diet (keto diet consisting of whole foods - not processed keto bars, cookies, breads and shakes - worked for me. Become a cook and be proud of learning how to cook all different kinds of meats) and stick to it. As you lose the flab, do the SS novice linear progression as written. Buy the book.

If you are too weak to squat your body, do everything else. Every time you lose 25 pounds start trying to do the squat. Become greedy and jealous of those who squat, but realize that you wont be able to do it until your massive sow apron shrivels down. So lose it.

Become proud of your bench and overhead press. Remember that if you eat well (i.e. 300 grams of animal protein per day) your lifts will continue to climb. Become vain and prideful of your strengths, and look to increase them through judicious diet and sleep, as well as through consistent training.

Follow the program.

Godspeed, fat man.

Im now 53, 6'4" and 275 with visible ab musculature. This program works, Fatboy, but only if you do it.

You got some good advice here, so if you can follow it, great! But if not, I'm gonna give you an easy way out that doesn't involve surgery.

You're gonna do Starting Strength as closely as you can for your mobility. You'll find plenty about this in the forums and on SS Radio Q&As, so there's no reason for me to get into it.

Your first week you are not going to reduce calories. You're gonna stuff your fat face all you want. But you're gonna count it all as precisely as you can, beverages included. Buy a kitchen scale. If being hungry is so bad, you can exchange that pain for the pain of precise bookkeeping. Not very fun and exciting work, I know, but everything has a cost. And you like eating more than that, right?

Week two, you are going to eat the same amount of calories you recorded minus 500 calories. Try to make the vast majority of that reduction carbs. So if you were averaging 6000 calories a day last week, you will now be eating 5500. If you're a soda drinker, this will be very easy. And here's the fun part: you get to spend as much time as you want figuring out what you can make or order for your next meal! It will be like a fun food puzzle. You'll be doing what you love!

You're then going to keep subtracting 500 calories a week (again, weighted towards carbs) until you are losing weight at a brisk pace. This will come very quickly. At your size, you might lose three to five pounds a week for a while, even while consuming far more food than most people would imagine. Once the weight starts coming off, you can hold steady or start reducing calories in smaller weekly increments. You will be able to ride this wave of weight reduction smoothly and comfortably. If you succeed on the initial weight loss, check in on the forums again to make sure you aren't in risk of going to the other extreme. Some of you fat guys get carried away and end up fixated on being "thin". You don't want that either.

I really and truly believe there ought to be a “Diet NLP” for people like this. They are novice weight-losers as much as the people who come here are novice weightlifters. Most people don’t know the difference between a carb and a protein or a calorie and a gram. Education goes a long way, but for many, the equivalent to adding 5 pounds on the bar with weight loss can literally be removing an extra 100 calories from their diet every couple days. The only real problem with this is that people have to be as committed to logging their food and being honest with themselves as much as we care about our weightlifting logs.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    If you're a soda drinker, this will be very easy.
    I agree with your approach and everything you said except for this. Quitting soda for a 550 lbs man is not only not very easy, it is probably the hardest part. Sugar is not that much different than heroin. While heroin withdrawal can kill you, it at least lasts three to four times as short as sugar withdrawal. So OP, you’ve got a choice, sugar or life. Now I’m not that big on life in general, but since you are here asking the question, this is what you are dealing with. My advice though would be that if you are gonna go out, start shooting up dope instead of drinking sugar, at least the high there is something to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I really and truly believe there ought to be a “Diet NLP” for people like this. [..]
    There is:

The Nutrition Linear Progression with Robert Santana | Starting Strength Radio #30

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Do not want to step on toes here but having done this, Rip's right.
    It's not calories, it's carbs. .
    It's not "carbs," it's Coke.

I really and truly believe there ought to be a “Diet NLP” for people like this. They are novice weight-losers as much as the people who come here are novice weightlifters. Most people don’t know the difference between a carb and a protein or a calorie and a gram. Education goes a long way, but for many, the equivalent to adding 5 pounds on the bar with weight loss can literally be removing an extra 100 calories from their diet every couple days. The only real problem with this is that people have to be as committed to logging their food and being honest with themselves as much as we care about our weightlifting logs.
    The problem is rarely information. I spend more time focusing on discussing eating behaviors versus educating on actual nutrition with the exception of the occasional true nutrition novice or someone who "knows it all" and wants to debate everything. The information is free at this point. The structure and behavior is where most people struggle.

starting strength coach development program
    Starting Normalcy
    Starting Not Being Obese
    Starting Skinny
    Starting Human-like Behaviors
    Starting Shredded
    Starting Sexually Attractive
    Starting Healthy Levels of Bodyfat

We could go on.

Aasgaard should publish the book.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast