starting strength gym

Thread: Shoes as Proxy

Default Shoes as Proxy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been wondering something lately, and I'm looking for a reality check from more experienced folks before I get too far afield with my thoughts on it.

Would it be accurate and would it be useful to regard whether a new trainee buys lifting shoes as an indicator for how likely the lifter is to continue meaningfully with training?

Certainly, there can be confounding circumstances, but it increasingly seems to me that this equipment purchase might serve as a proxy for a few important and less tangible factors that make for success.

Thank you.

I think so, yes. Do you or do you not believe what more experienced people have told you?

My first, non-SS coach told me the same about those who stuck with, or didn’t, the hook grip for the two weeks or so it took to get over the thumb pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    I've been wondering something lately, and I'm looking for a reality check from more experienced folks before I get too far afield with my thoughts on it.

Would it be accurate and would it be useful to regard whether a new trainee buys lifting shoes as an indicator for how likely the lifter is to continue meaningfully with training?

Certainly, there can be confounding circumstances, but it increasingly seems to me that this equipment purchase might serve as a proxy for a few important and less tangible factors that make for success.

Thank you.
    Maybe. You might want to ask them if they have a old rowing machine under their bed that is no longer used. Could indicate weather $100-$200 of skin is the game means anything to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post

Thank you.
    I’d imagine it would depend on how much the money means to them to some extent. If I’m a guy who makes multiple 6 figures a year then $200 is nothing to me and I don’t have to do without something else. If I make $30k a year and have to give something up to afford the shoes they mean more to me and I’d imagine I’d be more likely to stick with it.

I guess it could mean the intent is there at the time of purchase but only time will tell if they stay with it. People buy gym memberships and other exercise equipment all the time and never use them or use them only for a short time. I wouldn't place bets on a person's longevity based on a shoe purchase, especially if they only bought them because someone told them they "have" to in order to train properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brainich View Post
    My first, non-SS coach told me the same about those who stuck with, or didn’t, the hook grip for the two weeks or so it took to get over the thumb pain.
    Seems a little bit extreme, but I don't pull enough to have a legal opinion.

starting strength coach development program
    This is absolutely the case.