starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery after Cataract surgery

Default Recovery after Cataract surgery

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m very likely getting one soon. I’ll be meeting with my medical team in the next month and I want to be prepared to schedule or postpone.

The general (Google, etc.) vague nonsense is don’t do anything strenuous for 2-4 weeks. Don’t lift anything heavy. Don’t let your head go bellow your waist which, to me, means squats are ok! Ya da ya da .

I had a vitrectomy which had dissolving stitches and took two weeks off and ramped up slowly after that. I’ve had direct injections with no stitches (needle too fine) and could lift the same day.

Cataract surgery is very common. Someone here probably has some experience in the context of lifting.

Thanks everyone!

I had cataract surgery on 1 eye in late March. My doctor told me to rest for just 1 week. That meant no lifting, running or swimming. I ended up taking off 1 1/2 weeks. Had surgery on Wed., 3/28, then back in the gym on Monday, 4/10. No probs then or since. FYI I'm 66 and have been lifting for a year.

I didn't have cataract surgery but I did have two retinal surgeries. I recommend a serious conversation with your doctor about what are their specific concerns and how that can work with your desire to stay healthy. I had that conversation with my surgeon and we came to a great compromise in how long I had to stay out and why. I was even surprised that she knew what a Valsalva movement was and OK'd me to do it. In my case it had to do with blood settling in the eye, so no inversion. I did have to push back with a statement like, "Is the advantage of the settling worth the deuteriation of my general health." With that I was giving a reprieve to back to the gym sooner.

Have that conversation and you can know exactly what you need.

Thanks! Coincidently I met with the cataract Dr. today and I will be having the surgery pending consultation with the rest of the medical team.

She said one week recovery of no strenuous activity is usual and you go on your way. That’s acceptable to me.

As far as eye surgeons and opinions about valsalva, 4 said not a problem and one said no post surgery or ever.Always breathe while lifting. One of the surgeons pointed out that eye injuries, particularly retinal or partial retinal detachments come from shock trauma. Car accidents, boxing, and cross fitness!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and as always, lift heavy and stay safe!

Let us know how is works out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Thanks! Coincidently I met with the cataract Dr. today and I will be having the surgery pending consultation with the rest of the medical team.

She said one week recovery of no strenuous activity is usual and you go on your way. That’s acceptable to me.

As far as eye surgeons and opinions about valsalva, 4 said not a problem and one said no post surgery or ever.Always breathe while lifting. One of the surgeons pointed out that eye injuries, particularly retinal or partial retinal detachments come from shock trauma. Car accidents, boxing, and cross fitness!
    I had cataract surgery when I was 5 years old. While I’ve never been able to really see out of the eye, I never had any issues with lifting or doing a valsalva. I have been boxing, played football and rugby with it too.