starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trained Legs Hurt More Than Untrained Legs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If you're having cramps you should check your daily potassium intake. Also, you squatted 315 and deadlifted 405 and didn't feel fresh after a bunch if eight mile hikes. Your buddies squatted and deadlifted 0 and felt just fine after. Do you really not understand the recovery demand difference here and the fact that your body was not adapted ton the hiking?

Is a 315 squat "trained"? That's weeks into the LP for some novices.

OP -- I started running a mile once a week about 2 months ago. It took like 6 weeks until my acchilles tendons adapted to the point I wouldn't be limping the next day, and I squat a lot more than you. Anyway this is a pointless discussion, doing thousands of reps vs 5s produces different stresses and thus requires different adaptations. Whether you're more susceptible to the effects of those stresses is a function of many variable, and is most likely despite your training and not because of it. Ultimately it doesn't matter.

I had the exact opposite experience to the OP. I went mountain hiking with a group of cyclists, and despite me not doing hardly any cardio, and them doing almost all cardio, I was the only one who didn't need to take breaks, and yeah, my legs were a little tired at the end of the day, but it didn't prevent me from squatting heavy the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    I had the exact opposite experience to the OP. I went mountain hiking with a group of cyclists, and despite me not doing hardly any cardio, and them doing almost all cardio, I was the only one who didn't need to take breaks, and yeah, my legs were a little tired at the end of the day, but it didn't prevent me from squatting heavy the next day.
    This is normally what we hear.

This has been my experience as well.

Cycling is a very different activity than hiking. This isn’t unusual.

Same. Especially helping “friends” or families move. Watching the triathlete types and the bro gym guy pretend they are keeping up is, maybe, worth being “that guy” with a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Cycling is a very different activity than hiking. This isn’t unusual.
    It IS unusual. I have never heard of anything like this before, and I train lots of people who go hunting in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It IS unusual. I have never heard of anything like this before, and I train lots of people who go hunting in the mountains.
    I was a fairly high level road and track cyclist. Off season training involved a fair bit of hiking and running, due to weather. In my experience, the first couple of weeks were pretty painful, in spite of some pretty high level conditioning, after a season of 4-5 hour road races. Just my experience, and I wasn’t the only one.

Now, at that level, we were staying off our feet as much as possible during the season, which might be the difference.

starting strength coach development program
    Assuming you were wearing decent shoes (you were, right?) when was the last time you replaced them?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast