starting strength gym

Thread: Growth Spurt Advice

Default Growth Spurt Advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

I've been on this forum and part of this community for close to 15 years now and I'd like to point out that you've been right about pretty much everything discussed on these forums.

I know you are not a Dr. but since you know more than most of these lazy quacks ,I wanted to get your opinion on a question I have.

My son just turned 13 and he is extremally undersized. He's in the 9th percentile in height. His weight is fine as he is in the 50% percentile for his age despite being short statured (Milk).
    There is no family history of short stature. Our assumption is that he will be a late bloomer as he still has the majority of his baby teeth and he's probably at Tanner zero.

Recently he's been asking me if he can start training in the garage with me and I have been hesitant for two reasons. 1) Your books note he should be at Tanner 5 before he can start taking advantage of SRA and 2) I didn't want to risk damaging any growth plates and further stunting his growth.

I understand the growth plate issue may be a bunch of BS but since he's not at Tanner 5 I figured there was no point in risking anything.

I read one of the Bill Starr articles on this site and he mentioned that he was a late bloomer and he started training hoping it would trigger a growth spurt. He didn't go into any further detail and in turn this leads me to my question.

Do you think if my son starts training there is a possibility that the training could help trigger a growth spurt?

Make note, the majority of us got into training because we wanted to be bigger, not because we wanted to be champion lifters or anything like that... my son is no different.

I appreciate any advice and thanks again for all your books and content on this forum. I've followed your programs/advice for close to 15 years and I am a strong old man.

Thx

Is he cryptorchid? Schedule an endocrinology consult with an actual pediatric endocrinologist and get his hormonal status evaluated. Training won't trigger a growth spurt if something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Is he cryptorchid?
    No, he's just short and he'll have a late puberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Schedule an endocrinology consult with an actual pediatric endocrinologist and get his hormonal status evaluated. Training won't trigger a growth spurt if something is wrong.

I'll schedule the appointment. Thanks,