starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLP and chemotherapy

Default NLP and chemotherapy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mr Rippetoe,

I have recently ordered the Blue Book and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. Upon completion of reading, I plan to begin the NLP.

At time of writing, I am 7 weeks removed having undergone an open partial hepatectomy to remove an adenocarcinoma. In a few weeks time, I am to begin 6 months of preventative oral chemotherapy. I have read that resistance training can be quite beneficial to patients while receiving such treatment. I plan to start my NLP about the same time I begin treatment. If you were me, would you follow the NLP as outlined in the book? Would you recommend I that I adapt the program in anyway? Any advice or feedback would be much appreciated.
    I am 6’1”. Current body weight: 170. Complete beginner, never having trained before. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,
    -Edward Chaires

Age?

I am 40

Sorry man. I wrote this about a year ago. It may be helpful to hear some one else’s story.

Better Than Some, Worse Than Others: A Strength Odyssey | Barry Charles

Resistance training is always a good idea. And, If your story is similar to mine, I’ve had to stop and start again many times since writing this. Following the NLP is perfect even if you start, over, with a broom stick.

I think eating enough is the hardest problem. The drugs all suck. You are likely, but not definitely, going to struggle with eating right and enough. But the lifting is the most fun. BE the guy who can add weight to the bar while on chemo!

Train. Start light and add weight -- just a little -- every workout. Get The Barbell Prescription and do the easiest workout in that book. Wear a belt for all sets. Do not do any assistance work or situps. Eat a lot of protein. Sleep as much as you have time for, and then make more time. Be patent with this, and you'll be fine. But it will be a while.

Barry,
    Thank you for attaching your article. It is a most inspirational story. Reading it has gotten me fired up to start. I was able to find all of the equipment I need to set up my garage gym on eBay. I am supposed to go pick it all up on Friday and I can not wait to get started. I really appreciate you sharing your story with me.

Mr. Rippetoe,
    Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate both you and Barry responding as quickly as you have. I will order the barbell prescription this evening and begin the easiest workout as you have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    BE the guy who can add weight to the bar while on chemo!
    I'm fortunate, so far, to not have experience with what you're going through but I love the last sentence of Barry's post and your attitude as well. Seems like so many people look for a reason to take breaks from training for every little thing yet you're starting training knowing it's going to be very difficult. That's terrific! That mentality is rare these days. I know it means little coming from a total internet stranger but I'm rooting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    I'm fortunate, so far, to not have experience with what you're going through but I love the last sentence of Barry's post and your attitude as well. Seems like so many people look for a reason to take breaks from training for every little thing yet you're starting training knowing it's going to be very difficult. That's terrific! That mentality is rare these days. I know it means little coming from a total internet stranger but I'm rooting for you.
    Thanks but this thread is for the OP!

I will only add that I thought that being stronger, at any stage of age or health, was the whole idea of Starting Strength and having some in the tank may be more useful than you could ever imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Thanks but this thread is for the OP!

I will only add that I thought that being stronger, at any stage of age or health, was the whole idea of Starting Strength and having some in the tank may be more useful than you could ever imagine.
    My comment was directed at the OP and I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to quote you as that is confusing. Sorry about that.

starting strength coach development program
    Barry,
    I don't know how I missed your article when it was published. It's very inspirational. I finished radiation/chemotherapy a year ago for orophangeal squamous cell carcinoma. The chemo wasn't too bad, as it was low dose. The radiation was brutal. I gave up training about 2 weeks in, which is when I couldn't eat anymore. Toward the end I couldn't drink and needed extra IV fluid sessions. I lost 60 pounds from begging to end. I'm still making may way back and it's great to see someone do as well as you have. Thanks for writing this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast