starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Volume day 3x8s for intermediate masters?

Default Volume day 3x8s for intermediate masters?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 55 and I've been following SS for 4.5 years, and now making slow progress as an intermediate. I'm doing a 4-day split Texas method with rep cycling on intensity days. I've had a few injuries during training, one hamstring tear and the odd sprain or tendonitis. Usually happens after training has been disrupted for a 2-3 weeks (not stopped, just messed up) by travel, and trying to ramp back up too quickly. I just lost at least 6 months of progress on my bench after pulling a muscle (I think the long head bicep) while grinding through a bench rep which was failing.

I've also dropped the volume day to 3x5s, as recovery is getting more difficult as the weight and age go up. Squat 1RM is 375 and volume day would normally be up ~315 for 3x5.

I have a few months until my next meet and I've been trying 3x8s at lower weights (starting at 275 for squats and 165 for bench), which brings the total volume up closer to 5x5. So far, it feels like a good conditioning workout - that 8th rep is a killer. But seemingly not difficult to recover from by intensity day.

Any thoughts on this approach for masters? Or is it not heavy enough to properly support the intensity day workout? Should I just bite the bullet and go back to 5x5s or 4x5s and if I die, I die.

Are you going to a conditioning meet?

Quote Originally Posted by jmsyd View Post
    IAny thoughts on this approach for masters? .
    You know he does have a book written specifically for masters. Pretty much says to do the opposite.

Yep, thanks for replying. I have the book but hadn't opened it for a while, which I should have done instead of trying to figure this out myself.

I'll look at rep progression for volume day per the book.

Why are you committed to a volume day? What is its purpose for you?

Per the Texas Method, it's to drive progress on intensity day. My understanding is that once the weights are heavy enough, you can't do enough total tonnage with them as you won't be able to recover. So this total tonnage is split out into moderate higher volume, and intense lower volume. Is that correct?

Per the Texas Method, it's to drive progress on intensity day. My understanding is that once the weights are heavy enough, you can't do enough total tonnage with them as you won't be able to recover. So this total tonnage is split out into moderate higher volume, and intense lower volume. Is that correct?
    Why the Texas Method?

That's pretty much the purpose of the volume day in the Texas Method, yes, though there's definitely going to be a dropoff in returns as the weight gets lower to ensure higher reps. (Would sets of twenty work? If not, why not?)

The Texas Method had also been clarified repeatedly as been for as particular demographic, which does not include folks like us in the later decades of life. So, I'll shift the question - what is the purpose of the Texas Method for you?

Yea, but you are old. (So am I) TM probably isn't for you. Read the Masters book.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Yea, but you are old. (So am I) TM probably isn't for you. Read the Masters book.
    The book that has an entire, rather lengthy chapter exploring the Texas method and several variations specifically tailored to old people? Or a different book?

For sure, the original 3-day TM and even the 4-day split versions from PPST3 aren't for everyone, maybe not even most people, but the programming concepts work just fine when volume and recovery time are managed correctly.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast