starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catching deadlift up to squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Put the bands around a heavy dumbbell in front of the bench. The stuff about his program is found in PPST.

I am not lagging in neither exercise however it happened a few times already , if I squat near my PR when I try to deadlift the damn bar won't even move and I am forced to considerably lighten the load. So as a solution I came up with this..
    if I do heavy squats I keep my deadlift lighter,
    the next workout I keep my squat lighter and go for the max deadlift.
    It's working so far and I was able to add weight to both .

Do you see any problems if I keep it like this for a while? or maybe I should just move on to the texas method ?

Quote Originally Posted by eleazar View Post
    Coach, can you explain to me why you suggest in elVarouza's routine that he is dead lifting too often? I guess I am confused because I am on the same routine he said he was... I am starting to struggle on the deads, but I am just plodding along because I thought that was part of it.

Now my weights are slightly different and I have stalled and reset on the deads and squats once so right now I am squatting 235 and DLing 260.

Just trying to learn something here so if this is in another book, I only have SS, just point me in the right direction.
    I could be wrong, but my guess is that heavy squats and heavy deadlifts provide too much stress for the body to recover from in a period of every other workout. By alternating deadlifts with power cleans, which have a lower intensity as they're limited by technical ability and not so much strength, the body has sufficient time to adapt and recovery between deadlift workouts (volume is kept constant so it's not relevant).

I'm also guessing this wouldn't be a problem with a more 'normal' weight distribution, e.g. a 175 SQ and a 245 DL, because the squats are lighter and thus the combination of squats and deadlifts doesn't create an amount of stress that the body can not adapt to within the period of every other workout.

That's my best educated guess after reading through almost all of PPST.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    But the 45-degree apparatus is not really a back extension.
    Could you please explain this?

starting strength coach development program
    Torque is measured -- and it is at maximum -- at 90 degrees to the point of rotation. A 45-degree back extension never gets there, because when your hips and back come into full extension you at at 45 degrees to the floor instead of 90. It's a back extension, just a shitty one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12