starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The air force and the deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Attachment 8451

Is this thing what Tesla had in mind when he said, "You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension"?
    I actually laughed out loud at this. The people around me in the gym probably think I’m insane

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    These people cannot win WWIII.
    Nearly 70% of active service members are overweight, report finds

Not a word about muscle mass. Journalists are very simple people.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    What the hell is going on here? This can't be a standard barbell deadlift, or even a trapbar deadlift for that matter. Have you ever run across a fully developed young male who couldn't deadlift 135 on day one?
    My friend’s completely untrained social-worker girlfriend walked through our garage to get to our car to go out to dinner. She saw my barbell loaded to 135 lbs which I keep that way for my first warm-up set.

She said it looked heavy (because I use wider, more “impressive-looking” bumper plates). She’s a mid-thirtyish, healthy girl and I told her I bet she could deadlift it.

She did two reps with somewhat poor form (because we were in a hurry and she didn’t want a quick instruction). Both were to full lock-out with seemingly no effort. She used no warm-up sets. I wouldn’t let her try more because she didn’t want instruction and I didn’t want her to hurt herself. Im sure though, that she could have done more, probably a fiver.

Even her BF was impressed and he’s a fireman.

It sounds like she would kick the asses of USAF recruits,,, even the men.

My mother was able to deadlift more than 40 for a set of 5 as an untrained woman in her sixties. If you want to screen against actual physically disabled people getting into the air force, you don't need to establish a lifting test to do it. You can probably tell someone can't deadlift 40 by just looking at them. They probably can barely even stand up, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Journalists are very simple people.
    Considering journalists "people" is extraordinarily generous.

starting strength coach development program
    I have to ask if this change in strength requirements is necessary to meet current needs, or will these new requirements make it harder for the lazy and weak folks to avoid service when the draft is re-constituted to meet the needs of the Biden-initiated WW3?

At these standards, my 99 year-old mother-in-law could join the Air Force since she can pull 100lb singles and 87.5lb triples from the floor -- and she didn't start training until she was 96.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12