starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Hard Water

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,081

    Default Hard Water

    • starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't know what type of water you folk have in the US, but where I live the water is hard that it has a high mineral content dissolved in the water supply which is serviced by bores. The water is treated, but is hard and needs more detergent in the wash water and leaves white scum over time in the electric kettle washing machine etc, lime scale is what it is. Occasionally I would get a puff of brown water as well which meant the pipes were rusting internally. The house was built back in the late 1940's as the cold water pipes are gal steel

    I looked as various water treatments such as filtering, inline grounded devices that break up the so called bond of the dissolved scale, but too expensive. So I had the old gal pipe replaced with copper and grounded it and bought a bunch of neodymium magnets and placed around a section of the pipe. I heard that magnetic water treatment can stop lime scale build up over time which I thought was pseudo science, but in the last six months there has been little or no scale in the kettle which I use to descale every month previously, so maybe it does work. The water is still hard when I test it but it seems no lime scale, anybody got a suggestion what is going on?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    53,416

    Default

    Sounds like a freshman chemistry problem. Surely someone can remember this stuff.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounds like a freshman chemistry problem. Surely someone can remember this stuff.
    Here is another question for you as well. After training what should you quench your thirst with, tap water which here is hard, bottled demineralised water, rain water (I have tank water, but it has bird shit and other roof contaminates in it), or fruit juice? If you say alcohol such as carb-heavy beer then I will have to think about it somewhat.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Posts
    247

    Default

    You need to install a water softener.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    536

    Default

    What is the source of the water?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Possibly stupid question: is hard water a health concern or more of just a nuisance due to the lime build-up?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Lime scale is dissolved calcium and magnesium carbonate that has come out of solution typically as a result of evaporation (a loss of solvent). It is all but unavoidable in water that comes from the ground. It cannot be mechanically filtered out without softening and precipitation beforehand. Reverse osmosis probably comes close but is really more of an "undiluting" process than a filtering process.

    Grounding really only helps when you have stray current from nearby electrical infrastructure. Even in that case, the corrosion occurs on the OD of the piping, not the ID.

    The magnet thing sounds like bullshit. Some cursory research shows pictures and testimonials, but I can't find an actual explanation of the mechanism by which the system is supposed to work. If that technology was really viable, I would think at least one of the several different chemical plants / companies I have worked at / for would use it to remove scale from boiler feed water, since water treatment is otherwise an ongoing, very high operating expense.

    What piping did you upgrade from galvanic to copper? Everywhere I've lived in the US has had at least copper piping, and modern houses near me usually use PEX. Just wondering if you've had some dirty pipes for a while.

    By the way, soft water is abhorrent to shower in, at least to me. I doubt you'd save enough money on detergent to justify installing a system just for that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Lime scale is dissolved calcium and magnesium carbonate that has come out of solution typically as a result of evaporation (a loss of solvent). It is all but unavoidable in water that comes from the ground. It cannot be mechanically filtered out without softening and precipitation beforehand. Reverse osmosis probably comes close but is really more of an "undiluting" process than a filtering process.

    Grounding really only helps when you have stray current from nearby electrical infrastructure. Even in that case, the corrosion occurs on the OD of the piping, not the ID.

    The magnet thing sounds like bullshit. Some cursory research shows pictures and testimonials, but I can't find an actual explanation of the mechanism by which the system is supposed to work. If that technology was really viable, I would think at least one of the several different chemical plants / companies I have worked at / for would use it to remove scale from boiler feed water, since water treatment is otherwise an ongoing, very high operating expense.

    What piping did you upgrade from galvanic to copper? Everywhere I've lived in the US has had at least copper piping, and modern houses near me usually use PEX. Just wondering if you've had some dirty pipes for a while.

    By the way, soft water is abhorrent to shower in, at least to me. I doubt you'd save enough money on detergent to justify installing a system just for that.
    Yes, a salt water softener is a good first step toward reducing hard water calcium build up in iron and copper pipes. I have no experience with PEX though.

    That hard water will eventually clog the pipes and cause issues with faucets, dishwashers, etc. Expensive to fix.

    It's a balance to find the appropriate level of water softening before the water gets to a point where soaps and detergents no longer rinse off easily.

    I'd start with a mid setting on the water softener and adjust it weekly depending on how much crud the thing is processing. If soap doesn't sud, too low, if the soap won't rinse, too high.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Possibly stupid question: is hard water a health concern or more of just a nuisance due to the lime build-up?
    As far as I am concerned I have been drinking it since the 1950's, I heard that hard water is better for your health, but I don't know for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    What is the source of the water?
    Town water supply is mostly bore water that is treated such as filtered, fluoridated and chlorinated so we can drink it and water the garden with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    You need to install a water softener.
    Sounds expensive, just to install a grounded water softener is about $1000 Au. It is a inline device with a bronze mesh insert that is grounded and suppose to soften hard water, but I am not convinced by the evidence that it actually works.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Lime scale is dissolved calcium and magnesium carbonate that has come out of solution typically as a result of evaporation (a loss of solvent). It is all but unavoidable in water that comes from the ground. It cannot be mechanically filtered out without softening and precipitation beforehand. Reverse osmosis probably comes close but is really more of an "undiluting" process than a filtering process.

    Grounding really only helps when you have stray current from nearby electrical infrastructure. Even in that case, the corrosion occurs on the OD of the piping, not the ID.
    All older homes that had gal pipe for the water supply were grounded for earth fault protection as those days there were no earthing electrodes. Hence my place where the electrical system was bonded to the incoming water pipe it had nearly corroded away so I installed a ground rod to maintain the earth fault protection.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    The magnet thing sounds like bullshit. Some cursory research shows pictures and testimonials, but I can't find an actual explanation of the mechanism by which the system is supposed to work. If that technology was really viable, I would think at least one of the several different chemical plants / companies I have worked at / for would use it to remove scale from boiler feed water, since water treatment is otherwise an ongoing, very high operating expense.

    What piping did you upgrade from galvanic to copper? Everywhere I've lived in the US has had at least copper piping, and modern houses near me usually use PEX. Just wondering if you've had some dirty pipes for a while.
    I think the magnetic effect is BS also, but just for a test I put a bunch of high strength magnets N45, 50 on the incoming water pipe which is now copper and I am not descaling the the kettle any more, so I don't know. As far as PEX goes new homes here use it, but my place the gal has been replaced by copper. As a side note all modern plumbing these days is internal and if PEX is used the joints are crimped (even the copper) no hot soldering anymore which I always thought was better than crimping, anyhow if you get a leak it is a real problem to get to the pipe. As my home is old all the plumbing is external it was easier to replace and repair.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    By the way, soft water is abhorrent to shower in, at least to me. I doubt you'd save enough money on detergent to justify installing a system just for that.
    I have used soft water when I have been on the coast which was rainwater, but the coffee tasted bad.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •