starting strength gym

Thread: Asthma / Deadlift

Default Asthma / Deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’ve had asthma since I was a kid. I still tried to play soccer with my inhaler though. I outgrew the asthma basically. It hadn’t been a factor for years. I got COVID a couple years ago and it seemed to reactivate my asthma. I’m on an inhaler everyday day. I have a pulmonologist. Hot muggy summers are the worst. I train in my garage. I have a big fan and a kerosene heater for winter. The weather now is cooling off but I still run out of breath doing deadlifts. Why? I’m ok on the other 3 lifts. Is it because I’m bending over? I’m a little thick. Lol. I’m not worried about it. I feel like I’ve run the NLP out on all my lifts.

I’m 49 230# 5’9”
    Dead 405x5 going up slowly.
    Squat. 415x3x3
    Press 249x3
    Bench 320x3 for 5sets

I know my dead lift sucks. I get out of wind and it’s so aggravating. I’m not sure what to do. I use a hook grip and chalk and a belt. It’s taken me a long time to mentally wrap my head around the fact that I can do this. I also think I have a long back and short legs. Everyone in the world seems to walk faster than me. Lol. I have a 30” inseam.

I’m not looking for someone to tell me to quit. My life long ambitions are to pull 700 and squat 600. Don ’t laugh. I don’t want to lose weight either.

1. Any recommendations in regards to training with asthma? I have a feeling to just keep going and tuff it out and do what I can do. I didn’t know if you (Mark) have had any experience with this or any other trainers? I don’t do any conditioning work. I don’t do cardio.

Also

2. Should I keep gaining weight or not worry about it?

I have never been this strong before let alone think I could ever do what I’m doing. I really appreciate you guys.

Thanks in advance.
    Jeremy

Youre OK with squatting, but deadlifts leave you out of breath? I mean, they leave everyone out of breath because of the position youre in.

Not discounting your asthma in the least, lets back up. Answer the Three Questions. What does your pulling programming look like. Hell, what does your squat programming look like? Are you still trying to hump the novice program for that last drop? Maybe youre not progressing on the deadlift because you need to revise your pulling workout. Also, 3x3 at 415 indicates a set of five at something like 385-395, so youre not that far off. Also, if your grip is killing you, just use straps, man. What do these lifts look like? Video?

Is the problem that you are unable to get a full tank to reset for the next rep, or are you trying to catch your breath between reps?

I have asthma, but it usually impacts me after the set, not during.

Lifting weights is anaerobic. The only reason you ever need to take a breath during a set is to relieve discomfort, but that's all it is: discomfort. A bench press set of 5 is done on a single breath. A deadlift set is longer, so this might not be doable, but being "out of breath" won't actually stop you from completing the set. (And remember, asthma actually makes you *feel* like you're out of breath more intensely than you actually are)

You might try a couple sessions of prowler in the anaerobic regime. Just try for five pushes in ten minutes and add reps until you're at ten. Shouldn't take you more than a week or two and it might help.

Deadlifts kill me too, and I don't have asthma. After that 4th rep of my workset I am fairly winded, I usually take an extra second before inhaling in my belly and setting my back. It sounds normal to me, so long as it doesn't stop you from pulling your work sets I think you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    A bench press set of 5 is done on a single breath.
    Even a heavy one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Even a heavy one?
    Especially a heavy one. Taking a breath requires you to lose tightness.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    Especially a heavy one. Taking a breath requires you to lose tightness.
    You mean a breath per rep, right? My bench is about equal to OPs, and there is no way I could perform a set of 320x3 on a single breath.