starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite place you have visited outside of the US?

Default What's your favorite place you have visited outside of the US?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have never been outside of the US. If you have ever been to another country is there one that you look on fondly?

Scotland was my favorite. But things have changed so much I'll probably never go back.

Edinburgh is awesome. Such a cool city, so many nice people.

Since Im Canadian, Ill transpose this. Havent travelled a shit ton, but a bit in Europe, racing bikes. California was fun, surfing and all, but the one that really stands out was Witchita Falls for a seminar 2 years ago. This may sound ridiculous, but I saw my first open carry, and that was cool in a way Im not sure I can explain. Bloody Dennys , having breakfast with Craig Bearrs, I say dude, is that a Glock on that guys hip?. I believe it is. Also, the people in general were friendlier than Im used to. To summarize, every time the podcast starts, and I hear from beautiful Witchita Falls, Texas , I smile and think to myself, yes it is.

Oh, and the look on Bres face when we figured out why I wasnt on the signup list was priceless. Bre, thank you for not laughing out loud.

Does it count if Im not from the US?

Id say an extended train journey through the former Habsburg Empire (drink beer and eat roast in the board restaurant for the whole trip!) is hard to beat, if you like history.

It takes some finesse to get away from the tourist mob these days, but it can be done.

Ronda, Spain. The most beautiful place I’ve been.

Greece. Beautiful beaches and Mediterranean landscapes, rich history, delicious cuisine, extremely friendly people, and dirt cheap. There are tourists in the touristy places, but more than enough quiet places.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Scotland was my favorite. But things have changed so much I'll probably never go back.
    Ive never been there but its been on my bucket list. I have friends who were there recently and loved it.

Whats changed that made you not want to go back?

New Zealand as a several month launching and returning point for the year I spent at the South Pole.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Havent travelled a shit ton, but a bit in Europe, racing bikes. California was fun, surfing and all, but the one that really stands out was Witchita Falls for a seminar 2 years ago. This may sound ridiculous, but I saw my first open carry, and that was cool in a way Im not sure I can explain.
    I can.

You were in Texas (though I know you were singling out Wichita Falls).

The first time I was in TX was for a conference and the first morning, I spared myself the free continental breakfast and splurged for steak and eggs at Dennys. I was sitting at the counter and a guy came in, sat next to me, and immediately lit up a cig. My first thought (being a born-and-raised Californian) was WTF! then I realized This isnt California.

I was used to an environment where lighting up a cig in a restaurant would generate a 911 call and probably lead to someone getting pepperized.

I am NOT a smoker and I dont like being around people smoking but it hit me that Texas is a much freer place than where Im from. I found that I appreciated the freedom more than I disliked the annoyance of someone smoking.

Thats when my fondness for TX began. It continues despite my suspicion that today, even TX probably criminalizes public tobacco use just like everywhere else.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast