starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Protein Powder

Default Protein Powder

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Since there are about 20,000 different protein powders on the market, how does one know which is actually good quality? Who do we trust to actually get the truth so as to make an informed decision? What brand do you guys trust?

I have used NOW unflavored Whey Protein Isolate for years (NOT the concentrate), when I needed a protein drink. Flavored is a bad idea, since you get tired of chocolate or strawberry, and you can make this stuff taste any way you want.

Amazon.com

labdoor.com does product testing of vitamins and supplements. They are supposed to be independent and purchase items for testing via retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have used NOW unflavored Whey Protein Isolate for years (NOT the concentrate), when I needed a protein drink. Flavored is a bad idea, since you get tired of chocolate or strawberry, and you can make this stuff taste any way you want.

Amazon.com
    Gracias.

I use Optimum Nutrition as it's always available at HEB down the street. And I personally never tire of chocolate peanut butter.

Chocolate Peanut Butter?? Nauseating.

Oh man itís good. Especially with milk. Like molten Reeseís peanut butter cups.

I like NutraBio whey isolate, although recently I had a batch that didn't mix as well as normal. On the whole, it's still a good protein that never gave me any stomach issues.

My mom is very picky, but I finally got her to start drinking whey protein after gifting her Beverly UMP (Ultimate Muscle Protein). No idea why she tolerates the taste better than others. In my opinion, it takes longer to mix and sometimes remains clumpy, but I'll keep buying if she keeps drinking.

Unflavored now isolate is also my favorite, got it from rips old video where he mixed it with diet soda. I almost exclusively just mix two scoops with water and chug it

starting strength coach development program
    I used Myprotein's whey isolate for a long time, with good results. A friend recommended them, describing their 5kg bag as "almost comically large", which was an apt description. I've since switched to NOW - it tends to be a bit cheaper, and mixes up at least as well as the Myprotein, if not better. Getting it through Bezos Mart on a subscription saves money and is frightfully convenient. The plastic jars hold potential for other uses, as well, vs. bags. (A very minor point, admittedly...).

I 100% agree with Rip's insistence on unflavored, both for not being locked into a particular taste, as well as for cost. Flavored and unflavored are usually the same price for the same weight, so unflavored is therefore a little more protein, since none of the weight is composed of flavorings and artificial sweeteners.

(Yes, I know it's not much of a difference, but it's the principle...my surname is Scottish, and there's a stereotype to uphold...)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast