High Volume for Hypertrophy? High Volume for Hypertrophy? - Page 5

starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: High Volume for Hypertrophy?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Posts
    248

    Default

    • starting strength seminar december 2023
    • starting strength seminar february 2024
    • starting strength seminar april 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Yes, but also: the prowler requires much less coordination and presence of mind than the barbell lifts. MAD’s bloviation about mental toughness notwithstanding, everyone can and does push themselves harder on the prowler. There is no variance in quantifying a prowler set, whereas most people won’t even count 50 squats accurately, much less perform them consistently.
    If we are comparing self administered training modalities based on the ability of the trainee to count to fifty, it is perhaps time to reexamine the problem most in need of addressing. Shoe tying might be nearer the top the of the agenda

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    The point is that skiing is mostly eccentric loading. He’s trying to practice his sport.
    Tolerance for eccentric loading is not developed through practice.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    If we are comparing self administered training modalities based on the ability of the trainee to count to fifty, it is perhaps time to reexamine the problem most in need of addressing. Shoe tying might be nearer the top the of the agenda



    Tolerance for eccentric loading is not developed through practice.
    Wrong choice of words. Zach the Jew said what I meant to say. Like I said, I work on the hill, so its not an issue for me, but if you only ski a couple times a week, if that, you might want to get over the DOMS before the hill opens.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zach_the_jew View Post
    The squats allow him to get past the DOMS before the season and just get used to the feeling of squatting repeatedly with light weight. Exactly what practice is - just taking parts of the full movement or skill and using them to some advantage while NOT looking to necessarily create a training effect.
    As anyone whos done CrossFit can attest, DOMS is surprisingly specific to movements. Do you think downhill skiing actually resembles a barbell low-bar squat, to the point that DOMS would develop analogously?

    Simple - half squatting on a dry hill is not good enough.
    Running up and down a hill seems like superior preparation, both for aerobic conditioning as well as movement-specific DOMS.

    MAD, you can DM either Ryan or me for pricing on hill sprint templates.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    As anyone who’s done CrossFit can attest, DOMS is surprisingly specific to movements. Do you think downhill skiing actually resembles a barbell low-bar squat, to the point that DOMS would develop analogously?

    Theory and phenomenology - the OP said this works for him. If it works for him, then it’s an excellent practice modality. It may be worthwhile trying if you aren’t him as well.

    I don’t ski so I won’t be fortunate enough to try myself but it would be interesting to hear others try and report back.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zach_the_jew View Post
    Theory and phenomenology - the OP said this works for him. If it works for him, then it’s an excellent practice modality. It may be worthwhile trying if you aren’t him as well.

    I don’t ski so I won’t be fortunate enough to try myself but it would be interesting to hear others try and report back.
    I actually think it would be even better for snowboarding. My stance on the board resembles my squat stance quite closely, and shoving your knees out is a thing.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    647

    Default

    How often do you hit full squat depth during skiing and snowboarding? What would really optimize this program is if the squats were performed high.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You seem to think that Ryan is selling something. Fill me in. Did I miss his advertisement?
    He'll come up with something. These types always do. Conditioning devices, a new template, safety squat bar, etc.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    52,815

    Default

    MAD, you weren't always this big an asshole. Have you recently experienced a huge personal trauma? Something we can help with before we delete any more of your shitty posts?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    MAD, you weren't always this big an asshole.
    My fault. I still remember Lyle and these types. My bad.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •