starting strength gym
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar players

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    At a concert the opening act for Joe Bonamassa was Kenny Wayne Shepard. Joe came out and said Kenny Wayne made him feel like an amateur. Duane once said of the Allman band, "I'm the famous one Dickey is the good one." Just saw the Allman Betts Revival show. Betts son Duane is amazing.
    Yeah allman betts bad is really damn good. Duane’s awesome, his solo album he put out last year was good stuff too.

There is way too much subjectivity involved in determining what constitutes a “best” guitar player. From a technical standpoint most classical guitarists are probably far superior to people like Hendrix.

The electric guitar is very forgiving compared to the steel and nylon string acoustic.

Billy Strings.

Primarily bluegrass, but he strays off into rock/blues also. He can play anything with strings. Even if you don't care for bluegrass, if you're a guitar aficionado you need to watch him play.

Don't forget Chet Atkins, Glen Campbell, and Roy Clark, while we're throwing names around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Don't forget Chet Atkins, Glen Campbell, and Roy Clark, while we're throwing names around.
    Was listening to Roy Clark a couple months ago. Really amazing player. The ‘greatest guitarist’ conversations always seem to be presented through a rock guitar lens, so many amazing guitarists that get left out of the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    Billy Strings.

Primarily bluegrass, but he strays off into rock/blues also. He can play anything with strings. Even if you don't care for bluegrass, if you're a guitar aficionado you need to watch him play.
    Tony Rice too. And Doc Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Tommy Emmanuel as well, who idolized Chet Atkins and learned how to play from him. Both heavily influenced by Merle Travis. John Fahey is one of my personal favorites though he is not widely known.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    Was listening to Roy Clark a couple months ago. Really amazing player. The ‘greatest guitarist’ conversations always seem to be presented through a rock guitar lens, so many amazing guitarists that get left out of the discussion.
    Yup. Guitarist vs. musician vs. songwriter.

Unfortunately, I grew up only ever associating Roy Clark with Hee Haw, Hunt's ketchup ads, and that line of guitar books he marketed for a while. Much later in life, I got turned on to how phenomenal a musician he was. Better late than never...

I'm admittedly not all that well versed in music, but I did grow up listening to Waylon Jennings, whose music I still enjoy. I understand that his steel guitar player, Ralph Mooney is regarded as a legend. That seems to be an underrated instrument, at least these days. I'd be happy to be pointed at evidence to the contrary.

John Lee Hooker. QED.

Up to 3 pages without a mention of SRV?

Angus Young is underrated and has some blues chops. "Ride On" as an example.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
    Up to 3 pages without a mention of SRV?
    We were waiting on you.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast