starting strength gym
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Guitar players

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is a wonderful historical perspective. But what about Joe Bonamassa? You need to catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is a wonderful historical perspective. But what about Joe Bonamassa? You need to catch up.
    I agree. I'm too stuck in the past. I even heard David Bromberg play with Jerry Jeff Walker at the Columbia campus radio station do Bojangles.
    I heard Bromberg live and liked this song better. Will Not Be Your Fool (Live) - YouTube
    Mark, in my opinion, you give way too much to idiots like me, but I can't talk you out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Zaks View Post
    Mark, in my opinion, you give way too much to idiots like me, but I can't talk you out of it.
    There's no doubt about that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
    Iím not saying Segovia is no good as a player, but itís difficult to ruin an excellent composition, particularly one by Bach,
    My classical guitar teacher told me in 1977 that some concert classical guitarists complained that Segovia should quit playing because
    he had memory lapses and what he played in concert was not difficult enough. Did they hear him at his peak which could have been
    1920 when he was 27 years old? Obviously not. According to wikipedia his first recording was in 1949 when he was 56 years old.
    Andres Segovia - Wikipedia

I first heard him in Chicago probably in 1975 when he was 82. He looked like he was about to die of a heart attack (his face was red)
    and could barely walk across the stage. I thought he played beautifully. I was learning to play classical guitar at the time. But I wasn't
    interested in becoming a concert classical guitarist and never had the ability anyhow. He was on public TV probably in 1966 and I saw
    some of his master classes. Some of it is online which I just found, and it says 1965 so I was wrong but only by a year. Not bad since it
    was 58 years ago. I thought Ghiglia had much longer hair than this video but I was wrong.
    Andres Segovia (Master Class 1965) with Oscar Ghiglia - YouTube

Look at this video of Ghiglia which is supposedly from 2014
    Oscar Ghiglia plays Ponce: Sonata romantica - YouTube

I went to a concert by Julian Bream in Manhattan probably
    in 1972. I don't remember. What I do remember is that he hadn't memorized
    the whole concert. He had sheet music at his feet and he'd look down at it.
    It doesn't seem possible but I was there and saw and heard it in complete disbelief

I had a classical guitar teacher who told me that some famous classical guitarist
    had to cancel at Carnegie Hall in Manhattan about a week or so before the concert.
    Tickets were sold out or close to it. I don't remember every detail. He claimed no classical guitarist
    would attempt to perform because they couldn't memorize all the pieces in so little time. The management
    asked studio and jazz guitarist Barney Kessel to do it. He knew how to sight read and my teacher
    claimed Kessel actually performed. Is it true? Check for yourself.

I wanted to play electric guitar in 1978. I had always memorized the classical guitar
    pieces and didn't realize that electric guitar may as well have been a violin. It was a
    completely different instrument. I got sheet music for electric guitar but it took a few
    years of on and off playing to realize I had to learn to play along with taped recordings
    of phonograph records. I thought it was impossible but decided to try. I got a special tape
    recorder and taped a slow blues of Dire Straits. The tape recorder could play half speed and also
    had a variable speed so that I didn't have to tune my guitar to the recording of this song

Where Do You Think You're Going? - YouTube
    I couldn't believe it. At 49 seconds into the song
    Where do you think you're going I could play all the notes
    but I couldn't make it sound at all like Mark Knopfler because
    I didn't have his amps. I think he used a Fender Stratocaster that
    had 3 pickup positions. He played between 2 of the 3 positions which
    was a pretty good trick. Later on, Stratocasters had 5 positions.
    I doubt anyone is interested in what I just wrote. I tried to play classical guitar
    again about 5 years ago and wasn't at all interested in the music. I had never liked it
    that much. It was just a challenge. I had failed to get anywhere on the guitar twice before
    playing folk music and at piano lessons as a child.

I took a master class with a concert guitarist whose name I forget. He wasn't that famous
    but he told me I should read the literature of 17th century England if I wanted to play well
    because it would give me a sense of the culture that the music I was playing for him so I
    could play it better. I had no interest in reading that at all and realized I should quit classical
    guitar but had too much time invested in it. I did quit in about 1980.

What can I say. You never know what will happen in life. I would like to play some of what Peter
    Green from the original Fleetwood Mac plays. Blues great BB King said that Peter Green was
    the only white blues guitarist that made him sweat. Which I suppose was a great compliment.

I did hear BB King play in a small club in 1970 and again in 2006 when he was 80. He had to sit in a
    chair and was quite obese. When I closed my eyes, I couldn't tell the difference. It was 32 years later.
    Life doesn't go on forever.

Mark, thanks for all that you have given over the years. You made an enormous contribution to strength
    training and still do. I hope you have a lot of healthy good years left. You and I know what it's like to get
    older. I'm 74 and yesterday somebody said I was young. I laughed. I was young in 1967. I'm lucky.
    I have two friends left from the dorm at Columbia. The last few weeks they have helped me so much.
    They have terrible health problems. My brother who will be 72 years old this year is suffering so badly.
    I haven't seen him in years. I'd never have believed when we were young healthy kids and he was a much much
    better athlete than I was he could deteriorate so badly.

Mark
    I thanked you before and do again. Without strength training, I
    wouldn't be able to skateboard, surf (I have to relearn it again) or
    do krav maga, let alone walk well i'd have lost so much muscle mass.
    I'd be in worse shape than my brother. If he lives another
    few years I'll be surprised. He has epilepsy since he was 16 and fell
    recently and broke his leg. He has had a heart attack which I predicted in 1984 and he got
    enraged. He has had a major stroke that I didn't know about a few years ago
    according to his son which his wife denied last night while talking to me on an
    extremely tense phone call. She wouldn't allow me to talk to him because
    she said I'd cause him seizures. I hung up on her. His son tells me she rarely
    takes him to doctors. Maybe she wants to kill him. I don't know. She claims
    they haven't had covid shots. Maybe it's true.
    I talked to my brother on the phone a few months ago
    He was incoherent, contradicted himself, had a seizure. I couldn't believe it.
    My nephew, his son, said he was a thousand times better than a few years
    before and not to worry. It's true worrying won't help.

Mark
    Thanks man.
    Take care of yourself. The world needs you.

I was never a huge fan of Van Halen but Eddie was a monumental influence on many guitar players for a reason.

Eddie Van Halen - Hot for teacher live - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    I was never a huge fan of Van Halen but Eddie was a monumental influence on many guitar players for a reason.

Eddie Van Halen - Hot for teacher live - YouTube
    Jesus, if my eyes donít deceive me thatís Tony Levine on bass. Who is the band here I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Jesus, if my eyes donít deceive me thatís Tony Levine on bass. Who is the band here I wonder?
    From the comments it looks like this was for Les Paul birthday show in 1988. Levin on Bass, Jan Hammer on keys. Not sure whoís drumming.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    From the comments it looks like this was for Les Paul birthday show in 1988. Levin on Bass, Jan Hammer on keys. Not sure whoís drumming.
    Thatís cool. I was crushed when Eddie died without ever really stretching out musically. I always figured there was more in him than Van Halen, used to hear how heíd drop in to jam at the Baked Potato in LA. Would have been nice to hear what he actually had in him when he wasnít churning out music for the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    That’s cool. I was crushed when Eddie died without ever really stretching out musically. I always figured there was more in him than Van Halen, used to hear how he’d drop in to jam at the Baked Potato in LA. Would have been nice to hear what he actually had in him when he wasn’t churning out music for the masses.
    He's basically a one-trick pony (a hell of a trick) and has admitted that himself.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, that might have been true I guess. Cathedral and Secrets, from Diver Down, kinda hinted that there was more.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast