starting strength gym
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Guitar players

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greg Howe is so criminally unknown. This is better than anything Van Halen ever did.

Bigger the Bite - YouTube

My new favorite is Justin Johnson. Does amazing blues, rockabilly, just about anything with strings is amazing. Even shovel guitars. Acoustic or electric doesn't matter. He's a master

His live version of Gravity on Where The Light Is is awesome.

Over 80 posts and no mention of David Gilmour? This performance is really hard to top: Comfortably Numb Live The incredible depth of emotion through the whole thing and the outro solo - absolutely mind blowing.

I like Eric Hoffman from Deicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    King is kinda like Trucks, but a bit more schooled in Jazz I would say. What’s your opinion of Trucks? I particularly love his stuff before the band with his wife.
    I like King and saw him live a few years back, but Trucks is far more versed in jazz. His band, before his wife joined, covered a bunch of jazz tunes.

Songlines is IMO the best slide guitar album you can get you ears on. And the rest of the band is incredible. I'll admit that I don't care for the song Crow Jane, but not because they didn't do it well, just don't like the song.

This duet with Sonny Landreth is enough to make a guy just quit playing.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I’ve heard Robben Ford is an exquisite talent. Opinions?
    Love him.

A good instructor as well.

Ok, here’s one that could go sideways. John Mayer. I know, I know. But the dude can play. To any of you that actually play, try figuring out Neon.
    He's one of the best living players. He just gets the stink eye because he plays pop and teenage girls like him, but his career has spanned a bunch of genres and he plays them all as well as anyone.

There's no accounting for taste, but he has ridiculous chops.

Eric Clapton says John Mayer is a "master" guitarist - YouTube

A few unmentioned favorites: Nuno Bettencourt, Richie Kotzen, Julian Lage, Roy Buchanan, and, of course, the amazing Steven Segal.

For shred rock/metal I’ll throw in Marty Friedman. Rust in Peace might be the greatest metal album ever.

Also, Yngwie Malmsteen, for his first 2 albums at least.

Also, this isn’t just one guitarist, but Steely Dan had some kind of knack for finding guys that could nail a perfect part on a certain track.
    Larry Carlton did some Steely Dan stuff and is a great solo instrumental guy.

Not shred per se, but Vito Bratta (White Lion) is an amazing hard rock/metal guy. EVH is my all time favorite in that genre though. He was playing live what guys need 3-4 track to do on an album and the compositions themselves are great even if DLR made every song from a 12 year old boy's perspective. Hagar's era was great, but those albums were mixed horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    16-year-old me took a piss one foot away from my hero, Andre Segovia.
    If we're listing musical pisses: I was at a wedding that was also attended by John Williams. I wasn't drunk, but I was feeling loosened up enough to start humming the Star Wars theme while pissing three urinals over from him.

No words were exchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    If we're listing musical pisses: I was at a wedding that was also attended by John Williams. I wasn't drunk, but I was feeling loosened up enough to start humming the Star Wars theme while pissing three urinals over from him.

No words were exchanged.
    Please tell me you're joking.

Thatís on a level with Kevin Nealon singing Roxanne to Sting in an elevator in a classic (and oddly for them, funny) SNL skit.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brainich View Post
    Thatís on a level with Kevin Nealon singing Roxanne to Sting in an elevator in a classic (and oddly for them, funny) SNL skit.
    It was 25 years ago, so I don't recall him giving any particular response (not like either of us were going to even make eye contact in a Boston hotel bathroom), but the bride and groom (he was a family friend of the groom) thought it was funny and seemed fairly confident he wasn't the type to be offended.

starting strength coach development program
    Someone mentioned Leo Kottke, who I like, but not as much as Michael Hedges who is less repetitive and frantic.

Anyone interested in that type of stuff might want to check out the roster on Candy Rat Records.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast