starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopy

Default Colonoscopy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently went to my cardiologist for a bi annual check up. He asked when did I last have a coloniscopy, I told him never. He was shocked, said I should have had it by 45yo. I'm 74. He told me to do the colo guard test. I got a call today, results was abnormal. He suggested I go to a gastroentologest and get a coloniscopy. What would you do?

What was the abnormality?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What was the abnormality?
    I happen to know something about this - the Cologuard test only results as positive or negative. The primary test looks for genetic markers of cancer and pre-cancerous polyps, present from cells shed from the large intestine into the stool. The backup test is a fecal occult blood test. A positive on either (or both) means the overall test results positive. They do not report which one(s) popped positive. (This is why, for example, doing the test while having bleeding from hemorrhoids can produce a false positive.)

I guess it's what Jason said. My cardiologist just referred me to a gastroentologest and said it could be polyps. I'm on the fence about going. I have a strong negative opinion of the medical industry due to experience with treatments of family members.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I recently went to my cardiologist for a bi annual check up. He asked when did I last have a coloniscopy, I told him never. He was shocked, said I should have had it by 45yo. I'm 74. He told me to do the colo guard test. I got a call today, results was abnormal. He suggested I go to a gastroentologest and get a coloniscopy. What would you do?
    They test for blood in the stools, if it shows blood, it may be nothing, but get it checked anyway, folk get polyps from time to time mostly harmless, but some can turn cancerous. You don't want to get bowel cancer. If there is a history of bowel cancer in the family then that makes it mandatory for a colonoscopy.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    They test for blood in the stools, if it shows blood, it may be nothing, but get it checked anyway, folk get polyps from time to time mostly harmless, but some can turn cancerous. You don't want to get bowel cancer. If there is a history of bowel cancer in the family then that makes it mandatory for a colonoscopy.
    Family history of colon cancer is considered above average risk, which puts a patient off label for Cologuard in the first place. Initial FDA approval was for average risk patients above age 50 and up, later expanded to 45 and up.

Of course, this product is limited to the 48 contiguous States, so I'm afraid none for you all down under, Wal.

Jerry, I have a lot of experience with the receiving periodic coloscopy exams as a requirement for my employment (annual physical exams). Normally I had the procto every 3-5 years from age 40 to age 66. Always a clean bill of health, never a pleasant experience. My last was in 2016 and the Dr. told me at 70 it would no longer need it to be done unless I had symptoms of GI problems. I skipped the exam at 70 as I had no symptoms. I am now 73 without any symptoms that would indicate the need for another visit to the proctologist.

As uncomfortable as it is, the exam will give you peace of mind and they can remove any polyps that might be problematic. It may be your first and last coloscopy. I too am skeptical of the medical profession but if you trust your cardiologist then go with his referral and get the exam. He has experience with you and has access to your medical history. None of us on this forum have that info.

I have a strong negative opinion of the medical industry due to experience with treatments of family members.
    Being servile to the medical profession like most everyone else, a good friend went in for her colonoscopy on schedule. They "nicked" the wall of her large intestine/colon - not removing a polyp or anything, mind you, just driving around in there. She was in the hospital for three months.

I have heard of two other instances of that happening, but that was the most severe "nick".

Johns Hopkins lists it as a "rare" risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    Being servile to the medical profession like most everyone else, a good friend went in for her colonoscopy on schedule. They "nicked" the wall of her large intestine/colon - not removing a polyp or anything, mind you, just driving around in there. She was in the hospital for three months.

I have heard of two other instances of that happening, but that was the most severe "nick".

Johns Hopkins lists it as a "rare" risk.

Untreated or late treated colon cancer is almost 100% fatal. Early detection is 90%+ survivable.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Untreated or late treated colon cancer is almost 100% fatal. Early detection is 90%+ survivable.
    And what is the incidence rate of colon cancer in the absence of symptoms at the age of 74?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast