starting strength gym

Thread: medium intensity on a Bill Starr schedule

Default medium intensity on a Bill Starr schedule

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I have been using the Texas Method as outlined in your book Practical Programming with great success. However, at 32, the high intensity days are starting to beat me up a bit. I have wanted to start using a Bill Starr Heavy-medium-light schedule but I am not sure exactly how to set it up. If I go 5x5 across on Monday(heavy), 2x5 at 80% on Wednesday, would I go 3x5 at 90% on Friday for Medium days. Also, Flat benching hurts my shoulders. Strangely enough close grip and incline dont. What should I sub? P.S. Your info on the Press on crossfit and in your books has revolutionized my lifting life. Thanks LUKE

The setup of the Starr method is discussed in PPST. If benching hurts your shoulders, you should probably try to figure out why, because these problems should be addressed if possible. Inclines are not very useful, while close grips are okay. These are discussed in BBT.

Very often, shoulder pain during pressing/benching is caused by soft tissue issues around the shoulder. In my case, I had an extremely tight pec minor on my right side that a few sessions of Active Release Technique at my chiro cleared up. Find a chiro or PT that is certified in ART (Active Release Technique) and the Graston Technique and get the shoulder looked at.