starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Me and Racculia: Going to College or Not

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    FL has bright futures scholarship…SAT of 1230 got my son a 75% tuition covered. 1330 would have been 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Post of the Week. Contact Bre at the store for your t-Shirt.
    Thanks, that is very kind.

I didn't mean to be overly harsh to people that have chosen academia as a career, but somwhere along the way something has gone very wrong in that system. My chosen field was in agriculture, which should be filled with some of the more level-headed people on a university campus. People that understand work and on-the-ground economics of how things get done. However, one look at the USDA announcements for research grant funding is very revealing:

"USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) today announced an investment of $10 million in two visionary and transdisciplinary projects that will advance the science of reducing methane — a potent greenhouse gas — produced naturally by ruminant animals. The program area priority — titled “Reducing Enteric Methane Emission from Ruminants” — was funded as part of the U.S. government’s response in alignment with the Global Methane Pledge, which President Biden made in September 2021"

Yes. $10 million in taxpayer money to solve the downfall of modern society - the cow burps.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbucha View Post
    I think this is common. Oklahoma calls it the State Regents Academic Scholars Program. An example is here:

ou.edu/admissions/affordability/scholarships

I don’t know what tuition costs today, but in 2007 this amounted to a full tuition waiver. I think it’s the same today. Being a National Merit Finalist on the SAT is an equivalent scholarship and amounts to free tuition at many institutions nation wide.

This has nothing to do with intelligence, and everything to do with figuring out how to game the standardized testing program. I figured this out while almost simultaneously being kicked out of a boarding school for failing to grasp multivariate calculus. It can be done.
    Right, this is the standard merit-based scholarships. I myself did not pay for undergraduate tuition due to merit scholarships. I guess I misunderstood. I do not believe a 1600 SAT score along with an abysmal transcript will get you there, however. My score was very good, but not perfect. I was not offered admission to any top tier private or out-of-state universities.

Yes, the SAT/ACT are tests of how well you can take the test. This means prep to learn the tricks. That’s a cost. 8 seatings is also a cost. And time. I mean, it’s a complex puzzle.

Full tuition and full tuition plus scholarships were on trend around 2016 for out-of-state applicants at certain large state universities. Some universities were targeting qualified National Merit Scholars & others were targeting qualified students with high SAT/ACT scores to boost the number of “quality” students. Not only for the university itself (reputation, alumni money, drawing other students in) but maybe these out-of-state students would settle in the area & help counter brain drain.

I remember wondering why I was suddenly seeing so many University of Alabama car stickers all over the metro area here. Who goes to University of Alabama?!?! (from this area).

UA was leaning into a multi-year plan to lure out-of state students with full tuition plus scholarships.
    The university gradually tailored back the size of the prize over the years.

The state universities who jumped on this strategy were in primarily in the south & mountain west.

Of course, you have to get accepted, so not sure how an abysmal transcript but monster SAT score would play out.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbucha View Post
    Thanks, that is very kind.

I didn't mean to be overly harsh to people that have chosen academia as a career, but somwhere along the way something has gone very wrong in that system. My chosen field was in agriculture, which should be filled with some of the more level-headed people on a university campus. People that understand work and on-the-ground economics of how things get done. However, one look at the USDA announcements for research grant funding is very revealing:

"USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) today announced an investment of $10 million in two visionary and transdisciplinary projects that will advance the science of reducing methane — a potent greenhouse gas — produced naturally by ruminant animals. The program area priority — titled “Reducing Enteric Methane Emission from Ruminants” — was funded as part of the U.S. government’s response in alignment with the Global Methane Pledge, which President Biden made in September 2021"

Yes. $10 million in taxpayer money to solve the downfall of modern society - the cow burps.
    Isn't 10 million dollars nothing compared to the national budget? Your nation created hundreds of billions out of nowhere to give to ukraine and support its war mongering status. 10 million is incredibly small in comparison.

If you or your child has a hight GPA and scores well on SAT/ACT, look at out of state D1 schools with a big athletic program. They need smart students to off-set a good number of the athletes. Often you can get a full ride.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Isn't 10 million dollars nothing compared to the national budget? Your nation created hundreds of billions out of nowhere to give to ukraine and support its war mongering status. 10 million is incredibly small in comparison.
    I’m sorry, but it’s weak attitudes like that which allow stupid ideas to spread throughout our society.

Let me elaborate. First, NIFA grant funds such as those I quoted must be matched by the university. There goes another $10 million in overhead, because the taxpayer also pays for the Land Grant universities where these types of funds usually end up. Next we have all of those fun people employed in the NIFA offices near DC that have to wade through the cesspool of grant applications for these dumbass ideas like “methane reduction in ruminants”. These people also spend their years administering the funds and reading progress reports on how they measured the amount of methane coming out of a cows mouth. There’s another few million in taxpayer funded salaries. Then there’s the graduate student, post doc, and professor salaries that we also pay for at these universities.

So, even if it was $5, I would still argue that stupid ideas should not even be entertained for federal research dollars. If you are a private citizen, and want to spend your own money hooking up a carbon filter to a cows ass, knock yourself out.

Not to mention the whole point of this research idea that methane emission from cattle is a problem is designed to hamstring the American rancher by our own hand in the name of climate change. China is laughing in our face.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I just want to know what college will give you free tuition for a high enough SAT/ACT score.
    45 years ago I received (unsolicited) a fairly significant scholarship to Michigan Technological University based on my ACT scores. It was called the Michigan Competitive Scholarship.

All my friends in auto shop class cheered for me when the principal showed up there to give me the award.

I took the test just once, never studied for it. I got the highest score in my high school; my good friend was valedictorian, and she had to take the test several times to get into UofM engineering school.

Not sure how it works these days, but I put it to good use back then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12