starting strength gym

Thread: Rest between reps

Default Rest between reps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark, I didn't seem to find the answer to this question elsewhere, but I suspect what the answer will be...

I place 120kg on a bar on the floor and lift it 5 times, but I take a few seconds (even up to 10 sometimes) between reps. Am I still doing a set of five, or am I doing 5 singles? Is this a good way to go or should I lower the weight and minimize these pauses? Its the same with power cleans.

Cheers,

Miguel

Technically, you are doing a cluster of 5 singles. It's a true set of 5 when the hands do not leave the bar and just a couple of breathes in between reps. This gets squishy for the Olympic lifts.

Mark, should we be aiming to have our sets of 5 be "true sets of 5" with just a couple of breaths between?

Also, what about the lifts where you are supporting weight, the BS and presses? Is it legit to take a pretty good pause before squeezing out the last one?

It seems sometimes I perform clustered singles on my heavy squats and deads. Does it make any significant difference if I rest 1 or 6 seconds between reps?

Thanks. I was taking such long rest because I was afraid of breaking form. But I've realized I just need to concentrate harder and I can reduce them considerably.

starting strength coach development program
    If you are supporting the weight, it's not really a single unless you rack the bar between reps. A long pause between reps does not constitute a rest, and anybody that has done a heavy set of 10 can tell you. Deadlifts and pulls are the only lifts that can be done this way, and novices should do them as a set of 5 without letting go.