starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Literature

Default The Literature

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Mark, and anyone else.
    Intro- I recently read this article on T-nation []Page Not Found - COMMUNITY - T NATION on the lousy state of exercise literature. Whilst I am not familiar with the exercise literature I’m not surprised since I see something similar in the nutrition literature, and pretty much in all the humanities. I should mention that I am in academia, but in the applied biology and biotechnology field, not exercise. I am also a recreation lifter and I sometimes check out the nutrition literature as its relevant to my field of study. Many of my colleagues in the food science sector often snigger at the nutrition academics/dieticians we meet at conferences.

Anyway, my question is this. Why don’t you or members of your staff try and publish in peer reviewed journals? I understand it might be hard for you to get past the filtering system, since you don’t have a PhD or academic affiliations, but you have several staff with PhDs. Maybe you even have a few members who are currently affiliated with research laboratories. Surely, if you and your staff/members collaborate you could produce a robust research paper with a sample size over n=10. You have access to hundreds of participants (I assume you have that since you have several SS gyms) to conduct experiments/observations on, which is hard to come by for most academics in that field. Do you believe this wouldn’t be worth it, or is it simply because you disdain the peer-review process and want nothing to do with it?

Kind regards,
    Darrick

I don't see the point. Why would we want to improve their literature for them, when they don't even recognize that we exist? As Kirk said to Spock about the Klingons, "Let them die."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't see the point. Why would we want to improve their literature for them, when they don't even recognize that we exist? As Kirk said to Spock about the Klingons, "Let them die."
    And as Uncle Ben said "with great power comes great responsibility"

Are you asserting our "great power"?

Its all relative, compared to some post-doc with little funding and publications that no one will ever read? yes, you guys have great power.

If you want to influecne The Literature, you have to do it from the inside.

Anyway, I was just interested what the reasons were.

I have published in peer-reviewed journals. Never made me a dime, since I am not an academic. One of the problems with the peer-review process is that you guys review each other's shit, and nobody else gets in. It's a club I don't need to be "in", and I sincerely hope the whole academic peer-review system dies very soon, as it should.

Its not supposed to make you dime. I definitely don't publish in the hope of making monkey. I do it to contribute to science. If I wanted money I'd go work in the industry.

The process isn't perfect but its better then unregulated opinion pieces you find on social media and in political charged talk shows.

Is your academic employment contingent on publication? If so, it has made you money. And I have contributed to science without having to make my peers happy -- in fact, I have challenged them repeatedly, which I could not have done in their journals.

An Example of the Peer-Review Process | Mark Rippetoe

Seems like a typical reviewers' comments on a submitted draft. My first paper had close to 30 criticisms in it, and that was with the Journal editor being one of my supervisors.
    Anyway, I didn't want this to turn into a debate, online debates are almost always stupid.

I support your efforts in getting the general population to lift barbells for health. Kudos. All the best to you and your people.

Kind regards,
    Darrick.

starting strength coach development program
    1. Uncle Ben said that, and then he died.

2. How can anyone contribute to science when Anthony Fauci is the science?

3. Do they also screw around with things they shouldn't in the applied biology and biotechnology fields? And then force entire populations to choose between their livelihoods and scientific experiments?

I can't speak for everyone but for myself, I hope that Sir Rippetoe tells the larger scientific community to continually get stuffed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast