starting strength gym
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #250: British Food Month begins.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by walker100 View Post
    Scottish recipes are British recipes, Scotland being part of Britain, at least for the time being.

And this is the recipe you are looking for:

Split Pea and Bacon Soup

Ingredients: 2oz bacon, cut into small pieces; one onion; 2 carrots; piece of turnip; 1oz butter; 4oz yellow split peas; 1 1/5 pints of stock; pepper; parsley to garnish

Method: Melt butter, add bacon, onion, carrot, turnip and fry for a few minutes. Add split peas and stock. Bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Cool, then puree soup in blender. Return to pan, season with pepper and salt if required. Garnish with parsley. Serves four.
    2 oz. bacon? Serves 4 little girls who have already eaten supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    Beef and ale pie/steak and kidney pudding. PITA to make a good one but worth it.

Sad to say the Full Scottish or even Ulster Fry is superior to the Full English. Slices of haggis, black pudding and potato 'tattie' scones. You need a horrible hangover to really appreciate this fine delicacy, though.
    An English, er, full English also comes with black pudding. No potato-based items usually but you do get fried bread to go with the bacon, sausage, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans etc.

Rip should also feature modern Scottish cuisine, such as deep fried pizza or mars bars.

Quote Originally Posted by walker100 View Post
    Scottish recipes are British recipes, Scotland being part of Britain, at least for the time being.

And this is the recipe you are looking for:

Split Pea and Bacon Soup

Ingredients: 2oz bacon, cut into small pieces; one onion; 2 carrots; piece of turnip; 1oz butter; 4oz yellow split peas; 1 1/5 pints of stock; pepper; parsley to garnish

Method: Melt butter, add bacon, onion, carrot, turnip and fry for a few minutes. Add split peas and stock. Bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Cool, then puree soup in blender. Return to pan, season with pepper and salt if required. Garnish with parsley. Serves four.
    I made up a recipe yesterday very similar to this one, but I didn't puree it and added two pounds of browned ground venison and some chili powder and cumin. I used one pound of beans/peas and more homemade stock.

Turned out pretty good!

Well, I thought back on the actual recipe I came up with, and used more ingredients than I listed:

Here it is:

4 slices of bacon diced
    2 carrots diced
    2 celery stalks diced
    3 cloves of garlic, peeled smashed and diced
    1 Vidalia onion diced
    1/2 green bell pepper diced
    1/2 red bell pepper diced

Sautee until tender

1 pound 15 bean mix, rinsed and soaked overnight in cold water

2 pounds ground venison browned in around two Tablespoons rendered bacon fat

1 quart chicken stock
    12 ounces lager beer

1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
    1/2 Tablespoon cumin
    1 bay leaf
    3 sprigs thyme
    1 teaspoon dried oregano

Add the venison to the vegetables, simmer for a few minutes with the spices, then add the stock and beer, simmer for around an hour or til desired consistency, salt and pepper to taste.

Don't forget to add the soaked beans with the stock and beer! Also, I might have added a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce and Frank's Red Hot sauce!

Hunting and Foraging: MUNCHIES Guide to Scotland (Episode 4) - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by SamBlunt View Post
    A slight variation on the Yorkshire pudding recipe above from a Yorkshireman. For our Sunday roast we will use 2 eggs, 2oz (50g) plain flour, 1/4 pint (140ml) milk. That will make 6 Yorkshire puddings.
    Always find itís best to use beef dripping (tallow) or lard in the muffin tray rather than oil. Put your fat in every other hole of the tray. 10-15 minutes before your meat has finished cooking get the fat in the oven. Really important to get that hot. When your meat is done and you take it out to rest, this is the time to pour the batter into the hot fat and back into the oven, 200 Celsius, 390 Fahrenheit in a fan oven for 25 minutes while your meat rests. Do not open the oven during this time.

Most people now will eat Yorkshire puddings on their plate with a roast dinner. In many country pubs in Yorkshire, they will still be on the menu as a starter served with gravy. But you can also eat Yorkshire puddings as a desert with golden syrup.

Variations would be toad in the whole (batter poured onto pork sausages in a tray/frying pan then into the oven.
    However my favourite is the individual filled Yorkshire pudding. Same method as above but use a 6 inch cake tin so that it will fill your plate. Once cooked, fill with any meat (perfect with slow roast pork shoulder), onion gravy, peas, carrots and top with mash potato.

Yes to all! Especially using drippings for grease.One question for clarification. Why fill every other muffin hole? Is that to prevent the neighbors from fighting for room? Weíve had them with prime rib every Xmas as long as I can remember!

Definitely get some pig blood, back fat, some aromatic spices, casings and a sausage stuffer and make some black pudding. Very Rippetoe recipe.

"Stornoway black pudding" is the best one I've tried, and omits the chunks of back fat for beef suet. The actual product from Stornoway has protected status.

Sliced and fried or grilled in morning fry-up is a very basic way to serve it but also goes well with other stuff, like delicate fish, and also green peas.

My favourite is formed into balls, coated with panko breadcrumbs and deep fried - served with a whisky/peppercorn/cream sauce.

Black Pudding Matters!

For anyone visiting the UK I recommend finding an old chophouse such as the George and Vulture. Menus - The George & Vulture Chop House Restaurant London

Sadly the better option Simpsons Tavern is closed right now but it may reopen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    For anyone visiting the UK I recommend finding an old chophouse such as the George and Vulture. Menus - The George & Vulture Chop House Restaurant London

Sadly the better option Simpsons Tavern is closed right now but it may reopen this year.
    Simpson's is better? This is the damndest menu I've seen in a while. I'd have to order 6 different things to try them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Simpson's is better? This is the damndest menu I've seen in a while. I'd have to order 6 different things to try them.
    Simpsons Tavern is currently closed due to the landlord trying to screw them over covid debt. They have said they are now looking for temporary premises while it goes through court so if anyone visited itís worth checking. Simpsons is definitely better but both are good examples of city chophouses which I think is the best British food. At Simpsons it is customary to order an extra sausage with every meal.

Of course the most popular food here is curry and for big meat eaters you want the mixed grill at Tayyabs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post

Describe "Bubble and Squeak" please? Under sides.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast