starting strength gym
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #250: British Food Month begins.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Corn starch should be ok. You dissolve a tiny bit in some water, say 1/5, and add it at the end. I think the gluten free ones are labeled so.
    Some of the better, more recent GF flour blends do somewhat better at thickening than just corn starch, thankfully. Corn starch thickens very well, as long as you don't plan to have leftovers. It needs to go in at the end like you say because it thickens up, then breaks back down if you cook any longer...or reheat later.

Are Scotch eggs actually a Scottish thing, or is that one of those American things that's about as Scottish as French fries are French. (Or how the current Chinese fad of "New Orleans style chicken wings" is unheard of in New Orleans...)

After my wife and came back from our Scottish honeymoon several years ago, I made Scottish tablet from a recipe book we got there. It turned out ok considering no thermometer.

I really loved that place. Was much like where I am in Oz only colder. But we did go in January mostly cos I don't like going the beach or Bali.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Some of the better, more recent GF flour blends do somewhat better at thickening than just corn starch, thankfully. Corn starch thickens very well, as long as you don't plan to have leftovers. It needs to go in at the end like you say because it thickens up, then breaks back down if you cook any longer...or reheat later.

Are Scotch eggs actually a Scottish thing, or is that one of those American things that's about as Scottish as French fries are French. (Or how the current Chinese fad of "New Orleans style chicken wings" is unheard of in New Orleans...)
    Scotch eggs were originally a Yorkshire thing I think but they are eaten all over the uk. Best served warm with a runny yolk and mustard in a good pub.

Pork pie should be on this list too.

A very entertaining thread.

If anyone wants to combine great fish and chips with history and dramatic scenery, Whitby in East Yorkshire is the place to head. Fantastic fish and chip restaurants (most famously the Magpie but plenty of competition) whilst walking in the steps of Dracula and Captain Cook.

I have seen “The River Cottage Meat Book” is available in the US and includes, but is not limited to, all the great British recipes. Might not be worth the hefty price tag mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Corn starch thickens very well, as long as you don't plan to have leftovers.
    Why would you plan to have leftovers? Can you not eat a huge bowl of food?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    I have seen “The River Cottage Meat Book” is available in the US and includes, but is not limited to, all the great British recipes. Might not be worth the hefty price tag mind.
    I have it. Worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Why would you plan to have leftovers? Can you not eat a huge bowl of food?
    My potbelly attests that I certainly can. When cooking for a family and planning multiple meals for the week, though, leftovers aren't a bug, but a feature.

There're also dishes that call for thickening that are better as leftovers with some time in the fridge. Chili and other stews, for example. Cornstarch fails pretty soundly on those, in my experience.

In one of the first comments on this thread, Satch mentioned Fergus Hendersonís The Whole Beast. Also very much worth the price. Nose to tail cooking, primarily pork.

His restaurant in London is called St. John. Is that pronounced /saint john/ or /sinjin/?

West Country faggots are worth trying.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    West Country faggots are worth trying.
    Looking at the recipe now.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast