starting strength gym
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #250: British Food Month begins.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Just to be a pedant, traditionally in the UK Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb, and Cottage Pie is made with beef. Other than that it's mostly the same.

Also, Rip - just listened to the start of the latest podcast. Often in the UK to save time you make a shepherds/cottage pie with pre-made mince, but you can use minced shoulder as well. Maybe add that to the list of recipes to try with your hogget? Apologies if it's already been mentioned.
    Yes, I prefer using fresh ground lamb for this recipe, but I'm particular about where I buy it from. There's another really good butcher shop here that's a little bit further away, and they have it available; I'll be near there tomorrow and planning on picking up a couple of pounds.

They also have veal shank, as Jovan suggested. I'm getting some of that too!

The organ meats are a little harder to find, kidneys for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Steak and Kidney Pie:

That looks great Coach! How did you like it? Did I miss the recipe for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    That looks great Coach! How did you like it? Did I miss the recipe for this one?
    it was excellent. Recipe is on the network.

Just to be a pedant, traditionally in the UK Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb, and Cottage Pie is made with beef. Other than that it's mostly the same.
    Right. But "cottage pie" doesn't sound good and I'm not calling it that. Don't care. Won't.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Right. But "cottage pie" doesn't sound good and I'm not calling it that. Don't care. Won't.
    If we’re not worrying about getting the meat 100% correct it’s great with a bit of pork shoulder mixed in too.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Haha. Fair enough.

One other thing I just realised about British food (because I've never really thought about it, I just eat it) is that probably 80-90% of what we are known for is high calorie Winter food due to our shitty weather (bangers and mash, steak and kidney pie, spotted dick, roast dinners) etc. I can't really think of any British summer food apart from Eton Mess. Maybe a ploughmans?

Haha. Fair enough.

One other thing I just realised about British food (because I've never really thought about it, I just eat it) is that probably 80-90% of what we are known for is high calorie Winter food due to our shitty weather (bangers and mash, steak and kidney pie, spotted dick, roast dinners) etc. I can't really think of any British summer food apart from Eton Mess. Maybe a ploughmans?
    Coronation chicken? Cucumber sandwiches?… It does indeed get a bit thin into the summer. I suppose traditional fish and chips probably gets eaten a bit more in the summer, if that counts.

Tempura in Japan dates back to the 16th century Portuguese missionaries who fried fish and vegetables in a batter to satisfy fasting and abstinence requirements at several times throughout the year. Breaded fried foods in Japan mimics Western style treatments from later on after isolationism ended.

The history of the Albanians in Italy dates back to the 14th century where refugees fleeing the Ottomans settled in primarily Sicily and Calabria, along with Basilicata, Puglia, and Campania under the protection of the King of Naples. There were a series of migrations up through the 18th century as the Turks tried to take Europe. The Albanian national hero, Gjergj Kastrioti Skanderbeg, was a contemporary and ally of Vlad Tepes III and John Hunyadi, all bloody thorns in the side of the sultanate.

These Albanians largely maintained their cultural identity, language, and cuisine and were permitted to retain their Byzantine Rite Catholicism along with the few remaining Greek Catholics in Southern Italy. In return for loyalty and pledges to not build fortifications, the Albanians were accepted into the Kingdom and became part of the Italian cultural milieu. My family are these people and I can trace my lineage on both sides from the same village into the 19th century at least.

A modern wave of refugees came to Italy following Clinton’s folly in the Balkans in the 1990s. Italy opened its borders this time to a mostly Muslim group. Jovan can probably speak to this. Seeing cheap labor, the Italians made use of them in the jobs their children no longer were around to do, having moved away to cities to pursue modern lifestyles. Albanians are very similar to the Greeks in temperament, which is why they seemed to have pursued the restaurant industry, not only in Italy but also the U.S.. Diners and pizza joints are increasingly owned by Albanians in the States. An offshoot of the famed Patsy’s in NYC was owned by an Albanian family for a long time. Cooks in Italy, particularly the South are Albanians, although generally Italians are still owners.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinceTree View Post
    Coronation chicken? Cucumber sandwiches?… It does indeed get a bit thin into the summer. I suppose traditional fish and chips probably gets eaten a bit more in the summer, if that counts.
    My wife came up with Cucumber Sandwiches as well. I guess you could add Coronation Chicken although I always thought it's basically a chicken curry. The other things my wife suggested were "High/Afternoon Tea", "Cream Teas" etc.

I think a video where Rip eats cucumber sandwiches might be funny though. It's the most insipid food imaginable.

Beef Stew with Carrots & Potatoes

Making this recipe today. Only changes I made were using an extra pound of chuck due to some trimming losses, and a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. It's good with Guinness or a heavy dark beer, but I like it simmered in a good merlot too.

Since, I'm Scottish, I hope this recipe makes the list!

It's a bit of prep work, I recommend getting everything ready to go before starting cooking!

It already smells amazing on this "warmish" day up north. Must be the "global warming!"

starting strength coach development program
    I'd like to add Durham Pease Pudding into the mix. Thats County Durham, not the one in North Carolina. You only really find it in the north east of England. Its yellow split peas, boiled up with a ham shank and a few seasonings (I like bay, malt vinegar and pepper) for a couple of hours. When the peas are completely soft, remove the ham joint and leave both to cool. The gelatine in the pea soup will set it semi-firm, so it spreads like butter. Pick the meat off the bone and make your self a ham and pease pudding sandwich, on a fluffy white milk bun, with plenty of good butter. Wash it down with a coke and you have my death row last meal.

Goes great with bacon, some folks even fry the paste along side the bacon to get crispy edges, but that's not my thing.

Enjoy.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast