starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: It's over

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I couldn't stand to listen to Attia's drivel. I suspect the rest was just more conjecture drivel. BTW, this arrogant guy charges about $160k per year if you want to be his patient.

I like how he repeatedly states "today, as I know those things, which I didn't back then..."--- how does he know in 20 years he won't be saying that about himself now?

Incidentally, there's more on unrelated subjects, of course not in his primary training, which is surgery: Testosterone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) | Dr. Peter Attia & Dr. Andrew Huberman - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    You will take note that McGill repeatedly references the experience of powerlifters, not any sort of clinical experience with people training for general strength for health. The Horrors he's invoking here are not to be found in my own clinical experience or that of coaches working with the general population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    You will take note that McGill repeatedly references the experience of powerlifters, not any sort of clinical experience with people training for general strength for health. The Horrors he's invoking here are not to be found in my own clinical experience or that of coaches working with the general population.
    Similarly dumb, but from Attia: efficient force transfer is a major difference between mediocre and great athletes (0:23). Thus, as one ages, the chief concern is to not let "energy to seep out of the system" (3:15). In other words, stability coaching, not committed strength training, is what grandma needs to walk up the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Similarly dumb, but from Attia: efficient force transfer is a major difference between mediocre and great athletes (0:23). Thus, as one ages, the chief concern is to not let "energy to seep out of the system" (3:15). In other words, stability coaching, not committed strength training, is what grandma needs to walk up the stairs.
    If someone could just invent a way to harvest all that energy seepage, maybe we could put both this thread and the electric vehicle one to bed in one fell swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyStrong View Post
    I don’t necessarily think it’s the “soy-fitness” trend you’re describing. This seems to be the “Joe Rogan” era trend. He is big on the high volume, high intensity kettle bell stuff, and this seems to go hand in hand also with his “low carb/carnivore” diet trend. At least from what I’ve been seeing a lot. Maybe has something to do with their “optimal diet” and not having the energy to do heavy weights? I don’t know, but It's just stupid
    It's advertising copy that appeals to a frailty held in common across demographics, which means con men appealing to diverse marks employ it. Heavy weights are scary and uncomfortable, and equally so to the soyboy beta and the alpha bro carnivore biohacker. You come out with products that validate this discomfort and they will devour whatever slop you pour into their trough. The carnivore biohackers are particularly vulnerable as a demographic that is stupid but thinks it's smart, which can both be enticed by complexity and scared by simplicity. Sleazeballs of all stripes have been parroting the "risk to reward ratio" of deadlifts so much it is disconcertingly close to becoming accepted dogma.

What exactly did he say in the TRT segment that is bad? Who cares that it’s not his primary training? Seems his approach is thorough, thoughtful, and deliberate.

Attia is a master at online marketing for sure. Pretty sure he’s extremely smart and knows how to get his name out there. Got a little crazy in him too, as he’s completed at least one swim marathon. Anyone who does that is not normal….

Quote Originally Posted by od1 View Post
    Incidentally, there's more on unrelated subjects, of course not in his primary training, which is surgery: Testosterone & Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) | Dr. Peter Attia & Dr. Andrew Huberman - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Got a little crazy in him too, as he’s completed at least one swim marathon. Anyone who does that is not normal….
    I agree, I did that once too.

Quote Originally Posted by Railbob1776 View Post
    It's over folks, pack it in. This TikTok neurologist has exposed THE TRUTH about lifting heavy.

Neurologist explains why he quit powerlifting after learning of its life-wrecking effects | Daily Mail Online
    “He said he would also never have played football or done drugs or alcohol.”

Could it be that a combination of those behaviours, without dubious self-control,
    contributed to the Neurologists life-wrecking?

Also he looks about 22 years old, so he’s obviously got way more experience than anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cook View Post
    “He said he would also never have played football or done drugs or alcohol.”

Could it be that a combination of those behaviours, without dubious self-control,
    contributed to the Neurologists life-wrecking?

Also he looks about 22 years old, so he’s obviously got way more experience than anybody.
    He was playing HS football in 2013 (slow AF btw)
    Football Recruiting - Sergej Stjepic - Player Profiles - ESPN

I couldn't find any "powerlifting" meet results on him

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Several years ago we had a long, divisive and highly controversial thread on the topic of fall training for the elderly. (I think we lost many contributors to the forum over that one amidst all kinds of accusations of -isms; those were simpler times.)

I wonder if internet trolls would be able to convince Dr. Attia that what grandma really needs is practice falling instead of strength.

starting strength coach development program
    Is the new thing in midwittery, casually injecting scattered engineering parlance in your pontifications in the hope your audience of lesser midwits won’t catch on?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast