starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ask Rip Question Thread

Default Ask Rip Question Thread

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What do you want to ask Rip?

Are there any other countries where you expect Starting Strength (Gyms/Affiliates) to catch on more in the next five years? If so, which countries and why?

What is your opinion on the war in Ukraine? Should the USA support any of the sides?

Quote Originally Posted by John_Poe View Post
    What is your opinion on the war in Ukraine? Should the USA support any of the sides?
    Rip, in your opinion, what side will win and with what outcome?

Hi Mr. Rip,

Hope the comments from the haters were a good batch this week.

I'm a few weeks off starting my social sport which I'm too old for, Lacrosse, and am working on my conditioning. I know in the past you've said 2 a days for a few weeks is enough. Nick wrote a good article about conditioning and progress it linearly as you would with any training. In regards to conditioning, what's the actual change you are trying to achieve with conditioning? Is it just increasing the ability of your cells to take up and utilise oxygen and get rid of C02 more efficiently?
    Secondly, I'm not a far of running, or sprinting for conditioning, it makes my hamstrings hurt and I want to save them for the season. I'm planning to do conditioning work on non running things, stationary bike, pounding a tyre with a sledgehammer, calisthenics, prowler if I can get one and the government doesn't arrest me for taking a weapon outside of my home. Is there a benefit to doing some sprinting at all before starting trainings or should I save my hamstrings? Hope there's no civil war in Texas by the time this episode goes to air.

Rip, what is your take on WHY many find heavy resistance training to be beneficial to their mental health? These days, in the 'lifting' parts of social media, I often come across the meme/joke about 'lifting heavy circles' being good for your mental state. I find myself agreeing and have my own thoughts about why it helps me specifically, but what do you think?

Hey Rip

What to you think about atlas stone and/or heavy sandbag lifting?
    After a trainee totally deplete the Novice phase, do you think the exercises provide some tipe of benefits or they just is the tipe of exercice who look cool and sexy (and probably will made a intermediary lose progress in strength training)?

Quote Originally Posted by Adriano Alves View Post
    Hey Rip

What to you think about atlas stone and/or heavy sandbag lifting?
    After a trainee totally deplete the Novice phase, do you think the exercises provide some tipe of benefits or they just is the tipe of exercice who look cool and sexy (and probably will made a intermediary lose progress in strength training)?
    How does one add weight progressively and incrementally to a stone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How does one add weight progressively and incrementally to a stone?
    Agree, with a stone is more difficult because i have to made a bunch of other stones with little increments in weight.
    But with a sandbag it's easy, just open the bag and tools more sand inside in a progressively way.
    But Rip, my doubt is about the movement pattern in grab a heavy object like a sandbag for example. This type of movement remonts from a fully bipedal stone age apeman , and a little different from deadlift with a bar.
    I know that no have any significant comparison about who is better, but i still have this question about the movement pattern and if he is a good exercice for strength and daily basis.
    Me and my brothers work with crankshafts restoration here in Brazil, and sometimes i have to lift and carry very heavy Diesel crankshafts and put in the trunk of some random customer car.

starting strength coach development program
    If you were to start riding again, what motorcycle would you get?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast